Widower to truck driver

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by JamesWeed, Oct 30, 2018.

1. JamesWeed

JamesWeed Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Hi everyone
    So I had been talking to wife before she died about trucking. She was nervous about me quitting a 33 year factory job.
    Well she passed away awhile back and the thought of sitting here in a empty house scares me.
    I think I could stay busy with trucking and not be so lonely.
    I’m 54 years old and have liked trucks since I was a kid. Can trucking be a answer for me? I’m a little scared of retraining after 33 years lol. I’m scared more of sitting around by myself in a big house.
    What do you guys think?

Just passing by and AfterShock Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Av8torcrj

Av8torcrj Light Load Member

Oct 7, 2015
    I’m sorry for your loss. I got my CDL at 49. It’s not particularly challenging really so I don’t think I’d concern myself with the training aspect. As far as addressing your potential loneliness, in general, and in my perspective, trucking is by nature a very solitary profession. I think you really have to be comfortable in your own skin, extremely independent and at peace with hours on end by yourself. I don’t personally see it as a credible outlet for meaningful socialization but it might be helpful in terms of getting yourself out of the house and feeling active and productive. If indeed loneliness is what you’re most concerned about, I can’t recommend it as a solution. Good luck to you.

4. JamesWeed

JamesWeed Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2018

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Where is your location; state & nearest city?
    Some of us really love the trucking lifestyle, traveling around the country.
    I never got tired of running the roads.
    Give it a try; it might be good fit for you.
    Let us know your location and we'll help you get started with a good company.

Just passing by and Shock Therapy Thank this.
  6. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Sorry about your loss too. You could get a job running multi stop furniture loads or LTLstops. You get to interact with a lot of people, and you don’t have a ton of time to think about nothing. You will make friends at the company you work for, sometimes going down the road on a three way call with work friends. It can be fun. Where do you live? What type of trucking are you considering?

Shock Therapy, SAR and 4mer trucker Thank this.
  7. JamesWeed

JamesWeed Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2018
    It’s not been alone, it’s just sitting here doing nuthing but watch mindless TV.
    I need to find a new life
    I live near Wichita, KS
    I don’t have a cdl. I’m still dealing with getting things in my name only...
    I have a good paying job I hate so I’m ready to retire from factory life. I would like to see America before I get too old.
    I just want to stay busy so I don’t sit and rot away.

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Do you want to attend a private cdl school or trucking company cdl school?

Shock Therapy Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Here's a team job that pays each driver $2000.00 a week.
    R&L Carriers - you will need to attend a cdl school for this job. You'll be teamed with a certified trainer since you will have no experience, but will be a cdl school graduate.
    Requirements / Qualifications:
    • CDL Class A driver license with X & T endorsements.
    • 1 yr. verifiable Class A driving experience within the past 3 years or be paired with a qualified trainer (trainer can be a new hire as well)
    • Good driving record / MVR.
    • Minimum age of 23 years old with 1 year of verifiable experience or minimum age of 25, less than 1 year of verifiable experience and truck driving school certificate or no experience, 25 years old, school certificate and accompanied with a certified trainer
    We offer an excellent compensation and comprehensive benefits package that includes Medical/Dental/Vision Insurance, 401(k) Retirement Plan with company matching contributions, Paid Vacation & Holidays and free vacation lodging at our exclusive employee resorts in Daytona Beach, FL, Big Bear Lake, CA and Pigeon Forge, TN.
    [​IMG]

10. JamesWeed

JamesWeed Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2018
    I think I would pay for private school on my own. Kinda think reefer long haul is best for me. Wouldn’t be a problem to stay out a month at a time.
    I’m mostly worried about driving in heavy traffic and getting lost.
    I don’t mind solitude so much. I m not a social butterfly at all

11. Shotgun94

Shotgun94 Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Georgia

Sorry for your loss.
    You will meet people out here. That is what trucking is about. Networking. But when you start out in cdl school, you will meet your classmates and go out around town with them in the student trucks. Well it all depends on the program but for me that was how it worked. Get to talk and know your trainer in training well. Just don't overthink it if he is a smart a@#$$. Maybe into flatbedding. Maybe TMC trucking. New black Peterbilt truck. Your outside too working with your hands to get out and about.
    I'll say this. I seen all 48 and Canada. It's really exciting especially when you first start out. You keep busy out here. If you do 8-9 hours a day you'll never run out of hours. But even on your downtime you can always be busy doing something. Exercising, phone, lol.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.