wife about to pull hair out

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by wifeytotruckdriver, Dec 1, 2009.

1. wifeytotruckdriver

wifeytotruckdriver Bobtail Member

Dec 1, 2009
    little rock, arkansas
    my husband has been with swift since the middle of june (1st truck driving job) and countless times they have messed him over he IS on a dedicated run and home most weekend but we have a 4 month old baby and its really hard not having him here (he WANTS to be here but he is trying so hard to make a good life for us) i know that its not always easy being gone but i have about had it with this company just a FEW examples of some of the #### we have been through (i say WE because i go with him and help him unload sometimes im not a horrible mother the baby stays with my mom) ANYWAYS
    he has had a load taken out from under him when he got to the location for pick up by another swift driver, he was told if he worked the weekend before thanksgiving he would be home for thanksgiving and his boss just flat out lied to him to keep him out so he would take the loads i happened to be with him that week and was kept out for 2 weeks and missed my babys first thanksgiving i ended up having 3 panic attacks and he tried and tried to get them to send him home
    my father is a mechanic (sorry guys LOL) has worked for ABF, Roadway, Pat Salmon and sons and i have grown up around trucks so i know its not all fun and games.
    MY POINT is can someone point me in the right direction for finding him a local job so he can be home...we live in little rock, Arkansas
    I have tried calling the union they are not hiring (in fact they are just now rehiring the ones they have laid off) can someone please just give me some information on SOMETHING im losing all hope and i love my husband dearly but i am afraid that this will end in a messy divorce if he doesnt start putting us first

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    CHILL OUT!

That's the first thing you need to do as getting upset is NOT good for the BABY or hubbie!

I KNOW you knew that being a truck driver was going to be hard! At least he's getting home on a regular basics! You need to stay home with the baby and let hubbie do what he needs to do and that's MAKE money while he get the experience he needs for a local job!

You just have to get used to that fact that he's not in the bed with you every night! My last child only saw me every other weekend! There are millions of children out there who see daddy about the same amount! MOST of them have grown up with no mental problems except for FRANTIC women who can't control them selves! Do what we did and when hubbie calls home let him talk to the baby! It does help both daddy and baby! You get to watch baby as he learns daddys voice on the phone and just watching that smile start is something only you will get to see. Baby will get through this better than you! Trust me on this! Been there done that and got the T'shirts hats and vests as proof!

Let him work out that first year with that bottom feeder Swift THEN when he's done with that contract they have him over the barrel on then he can go looking for a better job but as you mentioned those loser union jobs wont hire him till those with the the seniority get back on the job, so unions aren't your answer yet.

Just relax and chill and when things get back to "normal" in this cess pool called trucking, hubbie might be able to get a local job but now if there is a pay check coming in then go with the flow! JUST DON'T LET HIM DO THE FLEECE DEAL! If he's already there, then you need to PANIC!

4. wifeytotruckdriver

Dec 1, 2009
    little rock, arkansas
    fleece??? i am afraid to ask????

5. doubledragon5

doubledragon5 Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Lewisville TX
    There is no easy answer, other than to have him stay put.. You need to stay home, and let him do the job.. For one as not being an employee of Swift, if you get hurt, the company can be held liable, and you husband will lose his job.. He needs to start some were we all did.. I started with Swift, and I was 48 states. I did not get a dedicated run, so your husband is very lucky.. As far as him loosing a load, well it happens sometimes.. If you husband is not happy with his DM, then ask for him to be put with someone else, who might be on the same account as his current dm.. You need to calm down, and worry about that baby of yours..

6. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    Then you haven't read to many of the threads in here! Fleece is what a lease program is! It's to fleece as much money out of a driver as they can all the while they are smiling at you but throwing away the jar of Vaseline!

If hubbie come in saying he wants to lease a truck hit him in the head with the heaviest frying pan you have, duct tape his arse to the wall and then strip naked in front of him and when he comes to tell him if he wants any of this he ain't doing that!

The only people who win in a lease is the company as they still own the truck and whoever pays ALL the bills thinking the whole time he's an O/O which is an insult to O/O's! That is why it's called a fleece by those of us in the know and the main targets of these lease/fleece programs are newbie drivers with rose colored glasses on! Just go read through the "bad companies" forum and a few others!

Hanadarko Thanks this.
  7. Texas-Nana

Texas-Nana Princess Drives-a-Lot

Apr 23, 2008
    Nana's empty nest
    Guys, she's a newlywed, new baby. She's trying.

Hon, the men here sound and post harsh but they have HUGE hearts.

rwings and GuysLady Thank this.
  8. wifeytotruckdriver

Dec 1, 2009
    little rock, arkansas
    OOOOO ok i got you on the fleece...BLAH i have argued with him over that o/o thing cause i dont want to deal with all the paperwork LOL and to doubledragon they have a riders program and we pay monthly so i can go with him so that part is ok

9. doubledragon5

doubledragon5 Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Lewisville TX
    You can go, I know my wife drove with me.. But being a rider, does not entitled you to touch freight on that truck.. I'm not being mean, but if you were to get hurt, it will cost him his job..

10. wifeytotruckdriver

Dec 1, 2009
    little rock, arkansas
    OOOOO ok i see what your saying....

11. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Nana, they have huge problems. She did the cardinal sin

Never, under any circumstances, do you give another an ultimatum.

"Either you quit driving, or we're through!"

Even if he comes off the road, trust is broken. This marriage will end in the messy divorce.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.