wife about to pull hair out

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by wifeytotruckdriver, Dec 1, 2009.

1. socal

socal Medium Load Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Just chill out...:smt056 when he became a driver where you for it? or against it? I doubt he will be with Swift forever but he has to get a Year of experience without screwing up to find a good job. As for him missing the first Thanksgiving I doubt the baby will remember it. Don't put so much stress on him as long as he is paying the bills you are doing a lot better than some women are. Make The Best of the time you have together when you can and the rest will fall into place in time. If he has only been driving since June He has a ways to go to earn his stripes. Be supportive nobody lands a Cush job in 6 months ask those union guys that are laid off how long they have worked there. There are union guys out here with 10-12 years Sitting At Home Laid Off.:smt065

TruckrsWife Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    And when he DOES get that "cushy" union job he won't be sleeping with you in your bed for a while anyway! He'll be at the bottom of the food chain with whoever he joins up with and will be doing night runs till he gets up the ladder a ways!

And yes, the baby isn't going to remember this Thanksgiving or Christmas or Easter or even NEXT Christmas so don't make that big of a deal out of it! Yeah daddy might not be in the pictures but when baby gets to 3 THEN daddy needs to be home!

4. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck "Captain of the Ship"

Apr 7, 2007
    Woodstock, NB, Canada
    My wife was dead set against me becoming a driver after 15 years in broadcasting. In my first year, I made over double my previous best year. I had to eat a LOT of (insert bodily waste term here) that first year, but things have gotten a lot better since.

Now, she is very much on board since she realizes that I didn't do this because I WANTED to be away from home, I did this so that I could provide for my family. Please keep in mind, every second you are thinking "Gee, it would be nice if he was home", he is probably thinking "Gee, I wish I was home." You are not the only one making a sacrifice here. Sorry if this sounds harsh... I'm on 4 days home and my second case of beer....

TruckrsWife Thanks this.
  5. VARITHMS

VARITHMS Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2009
    HOUSTON
    I would try to find another dispatch if possible. I was a newly wed when I was OTR. Only had about 150 min on a cell phone. Also, he his putting you first. From what I can tell he is doing something he does'nt like to provide for the family. Best wishes, the forum and freinds are always here.

6. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    Oh yes for sure dump the brat off with grandma....didn't she already do the mom thing raising this child? Seems to be the answer across the country...let grandma/grandpa raise another generation of whiners!

Young lady, you made the decision to marry, have child, be the wife,...wasn't there something in your vows to love, honor, and support your husband? He is trying to support you and the baby, being at the bottom of the pecking order at Swift, well he missed Thanksgiving, you know what it won't be the last time either, not in trucking, pray that he won't get the screwdriver and miss Christmas...first Christmas with first child is the best...I remember mine with my first...but there are videos, pictures, and cell phones...

When I started trucking 15 yrs back...we had phone cards (for reduced rates) and phones at the tables and counter for the drivers...and very expensive long distance bills at the end of the month. I would only get to call mama every third day..and worry about her and the kids all the time while I was learning this profession, and how to handle myself on the road.

You have family close who help you with the kid, and if they help you with the kid, then they probably help you with the loneliness, the worry, and the home front. I am thinking you have already taught hubby the magic two words...YES DEAR...but what do you say to him? do you use the magic four words often enough to give him the will to keep going?

HONEY, I LOVE YOU!

stanman63 and doubledragon5 Thank this.
  7. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    This will not sit well with any driver. You think that we don't do what we do to provide? You say that you are familiar with trucking since your dad was a mechanic. Do you know what is always going through a drivers mind? Paying the bills. Making sure the kids get through college. I don't thing you have a clue how stressful this job is with HOS, shippers, receivers, weather, traffic, worrying about someone killing you for a few dollars. Lack of sleep from crackheads beating on your door when you need to be resting.

Stress from home because the wife thinks you need to put them first? You are bringing divorce into this conversation. Look around you. Stop and think. Sounds to me like he is trying to provide. You think you have it bad? Lots of men have boots in the sand getting shot at in combat. They don't get home much either. Some come home in body bags. What does a soldiers wife say? They need to put us first or this might end in divorce? Sheesh lady give your hubby a break. You have a roof and food for you and the kid right?

Maybe he can't afford to provide for you at home making a few bucks an hour. When he is laying on the couch refusing to work then you have something to complain about.

8. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    Is that your Ricky Ricardo impersonation....LOL just funnin wit ya!:biggrin_25522:

9. snowbunny

snowbunny Medium Load Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Ottawa, ON
    My husbands father was a driver, and he tells me abt when he would pull over and call home at 6pm every night...I get to talk to my husband and my kids can call him anytime of day or night...I consider myself very lucky. Don't take the little things for granted.

jakebrake12, otherhalftw and Big Don Thank this.
  10. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Just name one union company that is hiring . It looks more and more like YRC is going to close the doors soon .

11. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO

The KEY word there is DOES! But the intent of the post is, He'll still not be sleeping in the bed with her till he climbs out of the pits and gets seniority!
    THEN he'll have to worry about the company getting bought out and LOSING all that seniority to whoever is higher on the UNION ladder coming in and taking his job! It ought to be fun watching what happens when YRC is gone and the guys with the most seniority goes to another union job! Want to start a UNION only thread and watch the whiing then! ROFLMAO!

That's why unions are just as bad as bottom feeders! Besides I prefer to actually do WORK for my money and not wait for someone to fuel my truck, sweep out MY trailer, make love to my wife, clean MY tractor out and all the othere things a REAL man does when he takes someones money for a well done job. Not to mention the Pride when you actually do you job with pride! :biggrin_2555:

My 1 time with the Teamsters was a joke! The moron in charge here in My hometown was just that a freaking joke! No more helped me than the man on the moon! I still have that useless green card with the deformed horses on it! Unions? What a joke!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.