wife relocating to houston is thisa good area for tmc

Discussion in 'TMC' started by fullthrotle, Sep 9, 2008.

1. fullthrotle

fullthrotle Bobtail Member

May 10, 2007
    just wanting to here if there are any tmc drivers in the houston area.wife soon relocating there and interested to know if this area is good for working for tmc.ive been hired already but havent been able to start yet because of loose ends at home and now relocating to houston.can you still get home weekends here?where are you running based out of houston?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rookietrucker

rookietrucker Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jul 15, 2007
    TEXAS
    Houston is about the best place besides Laredo for flatbed. Unless your hauling pipe or equipment for the oilfields. The few times I have picked up loads in Texas was from the ports by Beaumont and Laredo. Otherwise I ended up deadheading out of Texas. I would call TMC before you actually go work for them. They could give you a better answer then anyone.

4. Rawlco

Rawlco Medium Load Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Central Maine
    TMC has a lot of freight in Houston. I believe that we even have a little advertised drop yard there, but I could be wrong. There is also a lot of freight that goes through that part of Texas to get you home easily.

5. fullthrotle

May 10, 2007
    thanks rawlco.i actually talked to jared today(my recruiter)and he told me they do have a yard there and they pick up at one of the ports daily.he said its a great area for home time and after some time i could get on a dedicated run,so it sounds great.i live in tulsa now and i see tmc trucks about 10 times a day,he said houston would be even better for me than tulsa.im so excited to work for tmc because ive never made much money driving the ltl stuff ive been doing for the last 12 years,and have never been able to drive such nice equipment,just a litle nervous because of the bad stuff ive read on hereabout them,also talked to a tmc driver at the flying j here and hesaid he hasonly been making around 600 a week hope to be bringing home 800 or so,plus he said that they were notnice people at all,but i guess i will soon find out for mmyself

6. Rawlco

Rawlco Medium Load Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Central Maine
    Good deal.

Of couse if that same LTL company you work for now has a yard in Houston they might pay more than Tulsa, but I digress.

There are people who have had bad experiences with TMC. There are even days that I can see what those complainers are talking about. The way I look at it is this.
    1) It is my job to make money. I make money by delivering the freight. It is not TMC's job to give me money but allow me a way to earn it. If I have to do a little bit of work that is unpaid to make my paid work progress smoother then I do it. I do not get paid to sit, mostly because if people were paid to sit they would make up any excuse to sit and do nothing while getting paid. If I can spend 15 minutes fixing a light on my trailer I will do it because if I take it to a shop it will cost me a couple of hours and I want to minimize the time I am not earning money. If I can help the driver ahead of me tarp or untarp it will get me moving faster. The same drivers that will complain about having to sit and wait for a load for 2 hours will also spend 2 hours waiting at a shop to get something minor fixed because they aren't going to lift a finger to do something they aren't paid to do.

2) If the driver ahead of me dumps a lot of problems on my FM and ties him up then I am annoyed about not getting dispatched on time, so I try to not bother my FM if I don't have to. If I can solve something myself without bothering my FM then I do it.

I imagine that bringing home to him means after taxes, deductions, and/or possibly child support. If he is only earning $600 gross then he is doing something wrong.

Hmmm. That has not been my experience with TMC. Well there have been a few times that my FM has reflected my attitude back at me but usually he is very nice and professional. If you respect and value your FM then they will respect and value you. If you treat your FM like dirt expect the same in return.

James j, bigpapa7272 and Big Duker Thank this.
  7. fullthrotle

May 10, 2007
    for some reason the company im with doesnt goto houston,they cover dallas/ftworth and all surrounding areas but said they have no plans on opening up houston terminal so that route is out,and im ready to move on from this place ive beenhere for three years and things at this place are steadily going down hill.im not afraid of work or doing a little extra to help a situation be it a lite,flat or helping someone else because it will get me going faster so thats not an issue.and for the fm we have to work together and i know that in the end i work for them,its my job to drive the truck and get the freight delvered so its not like im expecting the fm to do anything other than give me the respect that i give him,nothing more its not his job to take me to raise

8. Snuck

Snuck Bobtail Member

Nov 2, 2023
    Any TMC Drivers in living in Houston now

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.