Wildland fire started by burning weeds...

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Big Don, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    So some jerk off was burning weeds with a burner up near Brian Head, UT a few days ago. In high wind. His lapse of intelligence and judgement is now an 11,000 acre conflagration, that has the entire community of Brian Head evacuated. Along with a scout ranch. Along with several other smaller settlements. At least one structure in Brian Head was lost, with several others damaged. So far.

So when you wonder what all the smoke is east of I-15 in the Iron County area, now you know. Some people are just too stupid to be allowed to live. And a whole bunch of them live here in Utah....

tinytim, UsualSuspect, mjd4277 and 6 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Went by there today. What a shame.
    IMG_20170622_194014.jpg

4. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Yeah, it is a shame. I hope that they know who it was that started it. I just saw an updated report where Panguitch Lake area has been evacuated, and several cabins lost in Horse Valley.
    From the article:
    Read more here: Evacuations ordered at Panguitch Lake as firefighters continue to battle the Brian Head fire

tinytim, Shock Therapy and skellr Thank this.
  5. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Just heard on the radio: 50,000 acres and 10% contained...

6. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Yep, and it's supposed to be another red flag day today. Ain't no way in hell these firefighters make enough money...
    And yet you see a lot of park service and forest service guys jumping on the chance to go, because of the money.
    I've never needed money that badly.

KillingTime Thanks this.
  7. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    From the rest area on I-15 near Paragonah.
    Screenshot_20170704-183342.png
    The smoke from Cedar City.
    Screenshot_20170704-183356.png

Hope we don't see more from all the fireworks...

Big Don Thanks this.
  8. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Have they called in any water bombers to tackle this blaze?

9. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    They've had both airplane and helicopter drops. Apparently there was a whole lot of air fire traffic last week. Below is an excerpt from the fire incident information website.
    InciWeb the Incident Information System: Brian Head Fire
    "Projected Incident Activity
    Fire will continue to spread to the east and northeast, particularly in mixed conifer stand of spruce and fir. Indirect line construction has been completed in divisions J, K and I. Aerial and ground ignition combined direct direct line construction will continue in Division Ij and K.Continued mop-up in high resource value areas. Moderate fire spread continues while fuels adjacent to control features consume. Priority Sage-grouse habitat (PHMA) will continue to be impacted East of the fire perimeter in the Panguitch Watershed area. Suppression repair has begun in Branch I and III. "

And if this isn't enough to make people thing, some idiot down in Desert Springs, AZ burned down both a house and a motorhome through stupidity.
    Fire engulfs mobile home in rural Arizona community
    "
    “By the time we got on scene, it was fully engulfed,” Beaver Dam/Littlefield Fire Batallion Chief Andre Ojeda said.
    According to witnesses on scene, residents were cleaning up in the area and were possibly utilizing welding equipment, Ojeda said, which apparently sparked the fire."

There is just no end to stupidity. It'll be interesting to see what tonight brings...

skellr Thanks this.
  10. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Funny you should mention that,someone up in Michigan burned their garage to the ground after attempting to use a smoke bomb to get rid of a wasps nest. To make matters worse said homeowner had fireworks stored in the garage when it caught fire so naturally they cooked off in the heat of the flames. I'll see if I can retrieve the article.

Found it!!! I like barbecues as much as the next person but I don't think garages are on the menu!!!
    Fire officials: Bug bomb starts fire that destroys garage

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    Big Don and skellr Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.