Will 15 years of Class B experience make me stand out?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Hazmatt, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Bobtail Member

Jul 2, 2018
    There seems to be a lot of companies willing to train.
    I drove an 8 and 10 wheel tanker for a home heating oil company for 11 years. The last 4 have been on a city bus at the Transportation Authority in Boston.
    The road test will still have to take place, I know that. My hazmat and TWIC have elapsed but I’m sure I can get em back.
    I’ve heard some companies want no commercial driving experience so they can train new people their way.
    What do you think, do I have a shot?

Just passing by Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You're good to go. You have lots of experience on the road and in city traffic.
    You're experience is a plus; now all you need is to transition to 18 wheelers.
    I recommend you either attend a private cdl school or trucking company cdl school.
    Millis Transfer is an excellent choice for trucking company cdl school.
    There's also:
    CFI - www.cfidrive.com
    there's more also.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Here's what you will have at Millis Transfer:
    Equipment
    Millis’ fleet is one of the newest, well-maintained on the road. All power units are equipped with the latest technology to ensure timely communication and accurate tracking. Drivers enjoy added amenities to stay comfortable on the road. All trucks come with Sirius Satellite Radio, a 24” flat screen TV and a subscription to DirecTV paid for by Millis.

• Auto shift tractors with ABS braking and traction control
    • Speed governor set at 70 mph when driver meets safety requirements
    • Summit driver comfort seat
    • Refrigerator
    • Sirius Satellite Radio, 24” flat screen and DirecTV subscription paid for by Millis
    • Crank out vent windows in sleeper with screens
    • Dash mounted radio with weather band
    • Aluminum wheels
    • Touchless 5th wheel release
    • Customized storage capacity
    • Double bunks (upper and lower)
    • Power locks and windows

Hazmatt Thanks this.
  4. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I drove class B for 7 years. 13speed, licensed 50K pounds.
    I had to put up with attitudes in school because it was basically a sinch for me. They gave me 100% in basic control skills.
    Company hired me partly because of my class B experience.
    2 hours after walking in the door.... Three things I did that I had never done before driving...
    Driving an 18 wheeler in a major metropolitian city in rush hour traffic right around downtown...
    Driving a fully loaded trailer...
    Driving a ten speed...
    I received no driving training. Was like... lets see if he blows it.... that was all...

5. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    From what I know. Millis is good.
    I have to laugh they advertise that above. I never open the vents in the sleeper. I always crank the fan up full. Set the temp just right. I'm in heaven.

Puppage and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Just remember a larger number applies to you now 13 feet .6 inches.

I could not last a hour wrestling a city bus around Boston myself. I rather not.

We started off with trolleys on rail and later electric to bus from overhead and finally the late 50's to late 70's the famous Fishbowl Bus which for us was fabulous for what we could and did with it.

Class B is same as class A without trailer to 80000 pounds or more. The behavior of the tractor on a 18 wheeler loaded to axle max is very similar to that of a class B.

Your trailer is the other part of the downtown puzzle. I remember when I first started, Baltimore was more than patient with me sometimes. They would come up and ask me where you think you going with that? Not down this 33rd street you are not. There is nothing here this way for you. It was a little more fun with a smaller milk truck going to Greenspring Dairy near the Falls Road.

The Baltimore i grew up with is gone forever. The people and everything has changed and not always for the better along with rotting properties that have no value other than demo and sell the land underneath.

Mattflat362 and Hazmatt Thank this.
  7. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Bobtail Member

Jul 2, 2018
    My garage still has the electric trolley buses on two lines. 6mph rule in some areas makes everyone hate us!

8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Millis Transfer trucks run 70 mph, so wear a scarf and goggles!

Hazmatt Thanks this.
  9. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Most likely those vents are your AC due to truck not idling or no apu

10. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    It’s not that different.

Backing is different of course other than that turning is different.

Idk how long your straight truck is but on my mixer I gotta cut corners and run over curbs or I’ll be all over in oncoming traffic. Vs a tractor trailer where you swing wide to make a turn. That’s really the biggest difference.

I went from pulling 48ft tankers to a mixer. I was taking my turns way too wide at first.

11. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Yeah like an Albino in a snow storm.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.