Will be doing a logbook for the first time

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by mangdriver, Apr 13, 2018.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    And make sure you get that truck right back to that spot to stay legal when finished.

No one is going to bother with .09...

with that said... there have been DOT Ive run into before who just might. But frankly I wouldnt worry about it. Just be certain that truck is returned directly to the spot you started that trip from.

shogun Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Yep, I was just joking. The chances of anyone doing such a thorough investigation for .09 miles is so slim, you have a better chance winning the lottery twice. They would probably just type in the two locations and assume it’s close enough and let that be that, unless a major accident was involved.

ZVar and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ahem, you would be surprised.

There is a certain DOT lady in the scales east of Silicon Valley in CA (I forget the exact facility...) anyhow, I prelogged on paper my departure and left about 8 minutes off that specific time log. Pretty close shave.

That DOT lady stood there and eyeballed that log, eyeballed me, my rig then her watch which matched mine and three other clocks in that #### thing and said BS. I know exactly how long you need to get here from that customer.

Let's say that temperature in the inspection bay was none too good. I would run my whole life on the road and never run into a DOT officer willing to cross swords with me over such a tiny detail.

It's a shame. I liked her alot. But NOT that much after she pretty much decided there was enough of a time difference to be a problem potentially.

5. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Actually, you only have to be released from duty at the same location you started at. Regs don't say anything about the truck and where it gets parked. For example, if I have to drop my truck off at Mack, if I go "off duty" at the Mack dealer, I have to log that day. If, however, I remain on duty while en route back to the house, now I have been released from duty at my starting location. Same with the day I go retrieve the truck. If I start my day at the house and I'm on the clock while en route to Mack, then there is no need to log that day since I'll be released from duty at the house...same place I started...but if I wait to start my work day until I'm at Mack and picking up the truck, then I have to log it.

Used to not matter one way or the other...however, with the 8/30 exemption, it'll burn up a good chunk of your allowed 8 if you're released from duty at the truck's location instead of your base of operations.

Now in the OP's situation, he could park the truck a few miles up the road, return to the shop to be released. Next day, goes on duty at the truck, released from duty at the truck when he parks it in the same place. Next day, on duty at the shop before heading out to retrieve the truck. ALL would be perfectly legal under the 100 air-mile rules as written.

ZVar Thanks this.
  6. mangdriver

mangdriver Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Yes .09 miles in dumb, and if it wasn't for CT. I wouldn't mind. But we've last time we did this trip my driver got a written warning being over the 100 mile mark.

7. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    'Nother question...is it 100.09 statute miles or 100.09 air miles? I ask because it makes a difference. 1 statute mile is 5280 feet. 1 air mile is equal to 1 nautical mile, which is 1852 meters, or 6076.1 feet...making the 100 air-mile radius the equivalent of 115.08 statute miles.

8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    He did say air mile in the original post.
    I still think he needs to make sure what the radius is an if he is still inside. I would also like to see a cop try and explain how he knows a truck moved 545 more foot than the law allows, with a 115 mile distance. That's an error rate of what 0.000001% or something. It's tiny anyway.
    Heck, that could be the difference if the truck was by the warehouse, or somewhere out in the yard....

9. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    I know he said air miles, but most don't realize there is a difference. They measure out 100 miles according to the scale on the map, and assume that's the limit, selling themselves 15.08 miles short in the process.

ZVar Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.