Will California allow my flip axle down when permitted for weight

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Rontonio, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Rontonio

Rontonio Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2009
    So I am unsure if I can use my 3rd axle in CA if I am running on a overweight permit. I know I cannot have it down if not on a permit load - kingpin to rear axle greater than 41' and trailer over 48'.

according to the web site there are 2 requirements - 1 same type suspension and 2 the axle weights are wuthin 10% + or -
    anyone have experience? Airwon?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Guntoter

Guntoter Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    As long as the permit shows the third axle on the axle portion of the permit (middle halfway down the page). You have to ask for it when you get the permit otherwise they assume its a 5 axle combo.
    Just put 17K 17K 17K on the trailer portion of the permit application.

4. Guntoter

Mar 24, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sorry, to clearify 17K each if the spread is standard which I assume it is.

BTW its 40' KPRA

5. Rontonio

Aug 9, 2009
    thanks, yes my axle spacing is 4' 5" between each axle.

6. Guntoter

Mar 24, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    Let me know if you have any other questions about oversize in CA... Its what I do.

MJ1657 Thanks this.
  7. Rontonio

Aug 9, 2009
    I do have few questions if you don't mind.

can one use the exception to run a load out that is non-conforming i.e. flip down immediately after delivering a permit load or vice versa?
    I read the bulletin but was not sure if it applied to flips as well as fixed non-conforming trailers?

also, csn ome do thisnon an annual?

8. Rontonio

Aug 9, 2009
    also, I see you are from Phoenix, do you know of any good parking to leave a truck for a week at a time int the area? I am comsidering basing out of here and flying home to Colorado for the next few months.I have a place stay and car to drive but need safe parking.
    Ron

9. natashascott

natashascott Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Yes. The state will permit you with that.

10. Joker85

Joker85 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Phoenix Az
    Idk if theres anywhere safe there to leave it unattended maybe a dealership

11. sleeve62

sleeve62 Light Load Member

Apr 8, 2012
    Rittman, Ohio
    Ran into A situation in Brunswick, Ohio with permit loads carrying steel coils. I had A 23,000 lb. cap. axle midship of my Fontain trailer. The scale was located to the rear of A fire station. When en route to the coil processors an officer would step out into the roadway and motion you to turn right into the scale facility. I was permitted 115,000 gross with the tag axle on the roadway. However, prior to making A pretty tight right hand turn up A ramp I would lift the axle to prevent damage to my tires. After completing the turn the axle was returned to load bearing status in advance of the scale. Usually no problem; but on occasion A " rules nazi " suffering from delusions of adequacy would throw A fit. Literally wildly gesturing, calling the scale house via radio and instructing the weighmaster to scale me only with the axle up. Quite A performance, that was ultimately ignored by cooler heads. At times we had the Brunswick city cops , the PUCO inspectors ( like DOT ), Sheriffs Deputies and A State Trooper all competing for A " shot at the title ". Their goal was to pull the permit because on A few occasions the local citizenry was amazed to find A 50,000 lb. coil in the middle of Rte. 303 ! Imagine someone someone being upset about such A trifling matter ! The driver , who was one of " our own " had 2 , 5/16 ratty chains on the thing and it went through the side kit. Probably too few bungies. He was highly insulted when ticketed for an improperly secured load, claiming that he had in fact secured it tightly ! I declined to comment on that. Mike

Hammer166 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.