Will DZ experience help me get a long haul AZ job?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Rayzala, May 18, 2018.

1. Rayzala

Rayzala Bobtail Member

May 18, 2018
    I'm looking into getting a DZ license sometime this month. I wish I just got the AZ a few months back because now I need to pass this M.E.L.T course which seems to be anywhere from $6000~9000 depending on which school or $5000 if you are upgrading from DZ to even take the road test here in Ontario.

My goal is to be a owner operator and do long haul. I have about two years experience as a G class delivery driver and I've found a few DZ jobs that are hiring newly licensed people. So from what it seems I shouldn't have a problem getting DZ experience but I'm not sure how an AZ employer will value that.

I feel like these are my options:

(assuming DZ experience will help)
    1. Get DZ license > Work DZ job for year or two (saving for down payment on truck) > Upgrade license $5000 (MELT program at Humber DZ to AZ) > Apply for owner operator job > Use down payment and finance truck

(assuming DZ experience is useless)
    2. Get DZ license > Work just until you have enough to cover the AZ upgrade program + living expenses for two months > Upgrade license ASAP > Apply for a AZ driver (non owner)> Pray someone hires me > work for two years to get AZ experience > Owner Operator

(assuming I get desperate)
    3. Change my residence to one in a neighboring province > Wait 60-90 days before I am eligible to take road tests in that province> Get AZ license (only Ontario requires me to go to this expensive school)> Pay a few people to lie and say I have experience > Get AZ job and save downpayment > finnance truck > Owner Operator

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Just get the AZ and be done with the courses. You will be more employable. I am not aware of companies that offer AZ training in Canada anymore as was common a few years back.

4. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    You can work for challenger motor freight, they hire new drivers and their pay is alright for starting off. They also have a really good training program along with a 2k government bonus after 2000 hour drive time. I would say stay away from owner operating until you get more experience within the field. Just my opinion.

BigHossVolvo Thanks this.
  5. Canucklehead

Canucklehead Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    I'm not sure where you are in Canada. But check out the local ads in BC. More than half say no experience needed. Also some say you have to know how to drive a standard. Freaking scary!!!!
    As for me, I got my CDL decades ago. No driving school. I earned my spurs doing rounders to California. In those days a year or maybe 2 of that and then you could get a decent job.
    Good luck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.