Will I have a hard time getting a tanker job?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by iVinny, Feb 24, 2017.

1. iVinny

iVinny Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I am thinking about starting cdl training and would like to get into tanker hauling. The problem is that in the last 10 years I had several internships through college, several jobs after college, and I moved a few times which caused me to have over 11 jobs in 10 years. In the last 3 years I had 4 jobs (including the one I currently have: 8 months), all but one of those jobs I left on great terms. I'm not purposely job hopping, but all those past jobs turned out to be low-paying, no advancement opportunities. Will I have a hard time getting a tanker position? My MVR is clear and I don't do drugs or have a criminal history.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. iVinny

iVinny Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Also, if I wait until December 2017, I will have had 2 jobs in 3 years.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Some company will hire you. Where is your location; city/state?
    You can ask for pre-hire letters from tanker companies that hire in your area and if they give you a pre-hire, you'll be ok. A pre-hire means they will hire you if you successfully complete cdl school and have the required endorsements; tanker/hazmat endorsements. Then of course pass a drug test.

5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I'd try now and see what happens. If nothing else, you can pull dry vans or refrigerated for a few months, then jump to tankers.

6. iVinny

iVinny Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I live in the New Orleans area. What tanker companies give pre-hire letters to cdl students?

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I'll give you a list, so try them all, then take the best offer. Some may say wait until you're in school and some may say contact us after you graduate. Some may give you a pre hire now contingent upon successful completion of cdl school and having the required endorsements. Some, such as Superior-Carriers, require you graduate from an approved list of schools.
    McKenzie Tank Lines
    Superior-Carriers
    SVTN (svtn.com)
    Schneider Bulk
    Tidewater Transit
    Girton Propane Service
    CTL Transportation
    Trimac Transportation
    You're in a great area for tankers. Some of these may have "experience required", so ignore that; they all hire new cdl grads. Some, such as Girton Propane Service, don't hire too many though, but worth the time to apply anyway. Girton is pretty diversified and hauls many types of products.
    @Thull drives for Schneider Bulk and lives near Baton Rouge.

Just passing by and thejackal Thank this.
  8. iVinny

iVinny Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Thanks Chinatown!

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    Since you live in New Orleans try Meyer warehouse and trucking in New Orleans they pull pneumatic tankers haul food grade sugar.They were a really good company good pay and home time.Have no idea if they hire new drivers but I'd call and ask

Just passing by Thanks this.
  10. Friday

Friday Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Charlottesville, Va
    As long as those jobs weren't driving related, I don't see the problem. If asked, tell the recruiter the same thing you said here. Of course some companies might say no, but thats no reason not to apply there and see what happens anyway.

Just passing by Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.