Will old injuries make it tough to get hired?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by LoboSolo, Jan 14, 2014.

1. LoboSolo

LoboSolo Heavy Load Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Highway 20
    I'm getting down to the nittygritty now before going off to get my CDL, and still running through all the "what-ifs" that could screw me up from getting out on the road. I had two vertebrae in the middle of my back broken in an accident back in the 80s. Doctor then told me that by 40 I would probably be crippled up or have lots of problems. I'm long past 40 and the only time it ever bothers me is when it's cold and really damp. Never have / never will take painkillers that could create a problem with a urine test.

As part of the physical or interview process, will I be asked about old injuries like this, or should I just shut up about it? Only time it would be apparent is if they took a back x-ray. Planning on either tanker or dry box work.

Mev Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    I doubt it since they are so old. I wouldn't volunteer that information as that information is illegal for a potential employer to ask a prospective employee prior to an formal or official offer of employment.

LoboSolo and Puppage Thank this.
  4. Mev

Mev Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Listen to me now,
    Hear me later,
    They don't know
    what you don't tell them.

MrIT and LoboSolo Thank this.
  5. joewispers

joewispers Medium Load Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Amityville,N.Y.
    Gotta agree with all above, were you ever in the military? " Don"t ask Don"t Tell " NEVER VOLUNTEER.!!!! Hey I won"t tell if you won"t.......

LoboSolo Thanks this.
  6. Oaker

Oaker Medium Load Member

May 29, 2013
    SW Ohio
    When you get your med-certification to start CDL School and/or pre-employement, there is a question regarding spinal injuries on that official form... this is where you'll have to make a choice. The physician will also likely have a follow up question in that regard.

Having back injuries is common or even likely in this trade. Starting out... as long as you have no "limitations" you should be fine. If you have limitations or restrictions with your back, then you will have difficulty with the med-cert and pre-employement.

Here's my point, why lie about it... the potential problems with doing so are significant.

I'm new to the field, over 50... and have had back surgery. I was up front, have no limitations, and was offered multiple opportunities with a variety of companies.

PS - Go TANKER...!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
    LoboSolo Thanks this.
  7. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    I fractured L4 and it never stopped me. I have a Dr. Certificate that shows I am 100%. The companies I applied for all accepted the Dr's letter.

LoboSolo Thanks this.
  8. Tallman67122

Tallman67122 Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Pine Hill, NJ
    I had 2 back surgeries both at the L/5 - S/1 area for ruptured disk. Both were before i decided to go into trucking. I was honest from the very beginning with both the company and the docs and not even one blinked an eye at it. As long as you can pass the physical you can get in. I have even discovered that trucking has relieved any aches i had because i get to sit on my ### all day and sleep on a memory foam mattress.

LoboSolo Thanks this.
  9. luvtotruck

luvtotruck Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Phoenix Arizona
    I have a bad back as well, I have not had any troubles concerning my back, I even stand with a slight lean forward do to the muscles not doing what they are supposed to do, I am good sitting in a seat with cyclers running all day long, I get it down the road. Good Luck, I think the best policy is if they ask tell them the minmum that they need to know.

LoboSolo Thanks this.
  10. Marksteven

Marksteven Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Bumble Fxxx
    As others stated, you should be fine. However stay away from any Local LTL peddle driver positions! For a position like that there are some
    outfits that require a back X-Ray to look for defects/injuries.

LoboSolo Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.