Will Prime take me with child support issue/no passport?

Discussion in 'Prime' started by Bigfish59, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Bigfish59

Bigfish59 Light Load Member

Jul 3, 2018
    My Child support is in arrears. I've paid monthly for the last 6 yrs, (past 1 yr as an IC - non trucking) both as wage garnishment and self paid.

However, fed law does not allow me to obtain a passport when owing over $2500 in child support, which I do.

Will they still accept me in CDL training and working for Prime?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Which state do you live in? Maybe we can give other alternatives if Prime doesn't want to be involved in child support issues.

Bigfish59 Thanks this.
  4. Prime-Mate

Prime-Mate Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2013
    I had a student that owed,. The state caught up with him his first week of tnt when he got his first check.. He has been here for 4 years now....

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  5. Bigfish59

Jul 3, 2018
    Thanks for the reply. But I want to be clear on this to avoid wasted time, travel, investment.

I don't have any issue even telling the child support people where I'm working so they can take a piece.

My concern is that since I can't get a passport because of owing child support, will Prime even take me into the cdl training program?

I sure as hell don't want to be broke and getting kicked out of school miles from home, or even homeless.

6. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    A lot of drivers don't have a passport and have no plans to get one. I finally let mine go when I had to go to Canada for the first and only time. I would call Prime and ask them but there are many companys that will not care one way or the other.

7. okmaybeno

okmaybeno Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Lovington, NM
    Carriers of this size often update their policies fairly frequently often times without updating online resources to reflect the changes or else somewhat lagging behind in posting the changes. For this reason, I would email the two specific questions to a recruiter for accuracy and documentation. Prime's recruiters, from all appearances, don't seem to be dishonest or evasive from the sources I've encountered so I would feel the information they provide as reliable.

8. Bigfish59

Jul 3, 2018
    FullMetalJacket Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It's only the Government that has the ability to strip your licenses for failure to maintain child support.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/human-...ictions-for-failure-to-pay-child-support.aspx

And a short excerpt of the material related to that subject on that site

begin quote

All 50 states have statutory or administrative provisions that restrict, suspend, or revoke licenses for failure to pay child support. The licenses affected are generally driver's licenses, occupational licenses, professional licenses (such as a law license), and recreational licenses (such as hunting and fishing licenses). Each state imposes its own triggering criteria, meaning the amount of arrears the obligor (the person who owes child support) must owe in order for a license to be suspended; or the amount of time the obligor must be delinquent before suspension occurs. Once the trigger criteria has been met, certain due process procedures are allowed before suspension of a license, including a notice to the obligor that they are delinquent or in arrears, and the opportunity for the obligor to pay the full amount of arrears, come up with a payment plan with the child support enforcement agency, or request a hearing to object the allegations.

end partial quote.

There is much more under that first paragraph but it's a storm warning to you personally when you are fixing to go to spend money in the thousands to get a CDL and then lose it because you should have used that money to get caught up instead according to your state.

10. Bigfish59

Jul 3, 2018
    X1Heavy,

Maybe you didn't understand.

My license is not suspended. I cannot get a PASSPORT. That's a Federal Gov't law. No person more than $2500 in arrears may obtain their US Passport.

I DO PAY MONTHY, and I have for the last 6 yrs. Both via wage garnishment for 5 yrs with the last company I worked for, and for the last 1 yr of self employment I have paid monthly. In other words I am current and in arrears, if you could call it that. Fortunately the ex stopped the gov't from adding interest & penalties, or I would never ever have a shot to clear it.

My question was around Prime trucking and roundaboutly, going to their cdl school to only be sent home because I cannot get a passport. There is no way around it. I cannot get one until under $2500 remaining.

I can't afford to go to Prime school only to be sent home. I'm looking to get into CDL school under contract with somebody real soon.

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Hello, almost neighbor!
    Here's an option that might work for you.
    upload_2018-7-3_19-31-14.jpeg
    4610 Vandenberg Drive
    N. Las Vegas, NV 89081
    In-House Financing
    For students who do not meet state grant requirements, Southwest Truck Driver Training offers an in-house tuition program to help meet your needs. We offer affordable payment plans to suit your needs. Loans payments typically do not start until 45 days after graduation which gives you time to secure a driving position before making any payment. Contact a Financial Aid Representative to find out more about this program.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    You can get pre-hired, before even starting school. This way, the future trucking company knows ahead of time all your concerns and will agree to hire you once you graduate.
    Many companies will reimburse the tuition back to you in monthly payments and you can use that money for the tuition payments to the school.
    Some companies, the pay is really good and even if they don't offer tuition reimbursement, you'll make enough that the tuition payment won't be a problem.

Bigfish59 and Sirscrapntruckalot Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.