Will these restrictions keep me out of trucking?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by cynatnite, Feb 24, 2011.

1. cynatnite

cynatnite Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2006
    I've been a truck drive for 13 years. Fell off the truck in Jun 2009. I have had knee surgery and physical therapy.

I have a 10% permanent disability rating on the knee.

These are the permanent restrictions...

No lifting greater than 45 lbs from ground to waist.
    No lifting greater than 35 lbs from waist to shoulder.
    No carrying greater than 30 lbs.

Will any company hire me with these restrictions?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Well, I wouldn't go flatbed. Van or Reefer might work, as long as you can avoid driver load or unloads, or driver assist. Although the last driver assist I had consisted of me standing in the trailer shooting the breeze with the dock guy as he unloaded my trailer (and I got paid for it, too!).

4. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Reefer would probably be the best bet. There are still some driver unloads in dry van, but dry van you don't generally unload the trailer either. How does the climbing affect your knee? You will be climbing in and out of the truck and onto and off of the catwalk to connect the air lines and pigtail. Are there any restrictions on pulling or pushing? The hood will need to be pulled up for inspections and adding fluids.

5. cynatnite

cynatnite Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2006
    I got a bad ankle sprain that the doctor called chronic out of the deal which gives me problems from time to time. I get up and down the stairs at home okay. I could probably do okay getting up the catwalk. Pulling up the hood shouldn't be a problem.

I was working for Crete and the lawyer said that they won't put me back on the road with these restrictions. Just wondering if it'll be the same with other trucking companies.

I'm ready to go back to work.

6. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Best bet would be to start contacting some companies, let them know what your restrictions are and see what they say. Some are gonna say no, but some may just say yes.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.