Winter brakes

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by roscold90, Jan 16, 2018.

1. roscold90

roscold90 Light Load Member

Aug 18, 2017
    i never set my trailer brakes since it's been frozen. But every time I wake up the brakes are popped out, is this normal?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Pretty much, you have an air leak in the system somewhere. Which is common in the winter months, as things like to expand and contract. Prior to parking, ride the trolley valve for a second or two to dry the brakes. Just apply light pressure so the pads grab and create a little heat from friction. You should not have any issues when you wake up to go. Just check the mirrors when leaving, make sure those tires and wheels are turning.

Oh, and continue your practice of not setting the trailer brakes in the winter when parking on flat ground in a parking spot to rest.

Lepton1, jammer910Z and Oxbow Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You never set trailer brakes, but you go to bed, wake up and shes popped.

The only reason on earth for it to pop is that your air supply dropped low enough to pop em somewhere.

Another thought would be a defect in your valving inside that dash of the tractor, whatever it is... but it's not a common problem.

BUMBACLADWAR Thanks this.
  5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Most red buttons will "pop out" whenever the air pressure falls below about 40-50 psi

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  6. PandaPancake

PandaPancake Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Not all trucks have a Johnny bar anymore

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    You are right, I have heard that... Most guys don't know what they are for. I was up at the local TA having a set of brake shoes installed on the tractor the other day up here in Dexter MI... One of the techs went on a road call to rescue a driver that lost all of the brakes and tires on his trailer... The driver had a Johnny Bar in his truck, he used it as a coat hangar. Repair bill was $4000+. I can see why companies no longer order them. The stupid is very strong out here.

8. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Not uncommon to occur in the cold. The good news is that by the time this occurs the brakes and everything should have cooled all the way down by then so you probably would not have an issue with frozen brake pads.

Justrucking2 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  9. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Leave the truck running... so it will keep the air up. Everything else will be nice and warm.

LoL

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You thinking of the trolley? (That's what we called ours on the east coast...)

Trucker61016, Justrucking2 and Hulld Thank this.
  11. roscold90

roscold90 Light Load Member

Aug 18, 2017
    Alright. Thanks guys

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.