Winter driving tips for truck drivers?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Canadianhauler21, Nov 11, 2018.

1. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    I disagree with the lugging theory in bad weather due to the fact the lower in the rpm band you are the higher the torque is.. I run a higher rpm but at a light throttle and rarely spin unless I let it lug down a bit ... 1500 to 1600 but at part throttle feels good to me..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Always concentate...stay alert.Road conditions vary(even on the same toad.If you start seeing vehicle and rigs layed over off the Exit ramps its probably TOO Dangerous.Bear in mind Winter Isnt the Best time to be a truck driver,not at all.,but,if you use some common sense (you can make it thru "unscathed"First,Easy on the steering and brakes,throttleGradual steering,I use brakes "very sparingly". Also forget about time(goal is to just make it safely).Try to stay away from other trucks.If you see Mohawk Truck on the hill a mile ahead..(Dont carch up with him/her.Yes,he may "Spin out" in frontta ya..Then what are you gonna do? I always drive like its slicker than it might be.Now if there is a Blizzard all the sudden I have "parked it". Youll get a chance to drive again,dont worry .Now if nobody else is on the road (ive made it thru some terrible conditions(knock on wood). Have found the most danger from other drivers wanting to try to pass,and spinning out in front of me.Winter driving can be exhausting and stressful. Above all Dont Panic,if something happens.Yes,Ive "slid around" had the truck diagonal on I-90& I-70 ..Even Barely made it up the Passes with chains on.Basically,its something you Cant Panic on...before its too late to steer out of. Were talking severe weather so far. Ideally you want to "Work Up" to the Really Severe Weather,get some Experience in Nov,Dec with typical snow.By the time its Really "Gnarly" you have experience on it. 2nd Winter of driving,you know what you have to do.3rd Winter a little more confident but, NEVER Complacent.JMO

4. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    -Sunglasses can be good in a snow storm.

-Don't be this guy.

b2.jpg

magoo68 Thanks this.
  5. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    You almost need sunglasses due to the not so bright people running with their brights on .. after a few hours of them getting the Star Wars effect they no longer know where the road is ..

tinytim and motocross25 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.