Winter Months

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by lookingtotruck, Jul 18, 2007.

1. lookingtotruck

lookingtotruck Bobtail Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Hi,
    Where do guys plug there trucks into during the winter months so they don't need to start them up on their days off for an hour at a time every few hours?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RNGTransport

RNGTransport Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Allendale, MI
    The broker I haul for has the contract to ship all of a flower companies loads (they supply all meijers and the homedepots) so they have a pretty big shop that I can either put my truck in or plug it in right outside the bay doors. My dads truck has a 550 cat in it that doesnt need to be plugged in, he just walks up to it and it fires up at the turn of the key no matter how many days it has been sitting out in the cold.

4. ziggystyles

ziggystyles Road Train Member

Well maybe someone can correct me if Im wrong...but Diesel engines have a glowplug...where you turn the key and a coil will heat up all that syrup inside the engine and when it dings or whatever...you can turn over and get started.

5. RNGTransport

RNGTransport Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Allendale, MI

Not all diesel engines have that, some newer ones do have that type of system. I know for a fact that the newer powerstrokes in Fords have that built in.

6. ziggystyles

ziggystyles Road Train Member

lol well being half right is better than being totally wrong...woot!

I drove a 3 ton diesel lawn mower a few years back. That thing had a glowplug...you turned the key and it dinged...soemtimes on the cold mornings...putting the key in and turning right away didnt do anything...it had to sit there for 10-20 seconds before you could turn the key and shed fire up.

7. longbedGTs

longbedGTs Heavy Load Member

May 8, 2007
    Texas
    Not sure if we are on the same page here. Glowplugs only aid in ignition by warming the combustion chamber, not the entire engine. Block heaters warm the entire engine to prevent the coolant from freezing(overnight).

8. ChevyTrucks

ChevyTrucks Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Never had this problem I park my truck inside the warehouse on my days off. You can plug in most diesel engines though, sometimes they just won't turn over for anything.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.