Wireless, Battery Powered, Solar Charged, Magnetic Mount, Truck Backup Camera

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by SubLo, Jan 10, 2019.

1. SubLo

SubLo Bobtail Member

Mar 25, 2018
    New York, NY
    Hey y'all.

Been lurking for a long time and haven't spent a whole lot of time here recently. However, this forum has been instrumental in helping me from time to time and I wanted to give thanks where it's due to both the host/administration as well as a myriad of members who post valuable information and help others.

Long title for a thread... but it pretty much says it all. I'm nearly 50 years old and have had numerous jobs - often working 2 jobs simultaneously. I've only been a trucker for 2 years. I grew up dreaming about driving tractor trailers I always saw on the road... not so much as a career, but because I was always fascinated and thought they were so cool! A couple of years ago, I stepped in crap. After a lifetime of struggling in many ways, an opportunity was presented to me to drive in a highly desirable (and often mysterious - to many) specialty trucking field. That's about as much as I can say about that.

In any case, I work very long hours. I often start my day at 4:00, 3:00 or even 2:00 am. I often finish working when it's dark out. I'm frequently alone and either (a) hooking up trailers/campers or (b) backing trailers/campers into very tight spaces, in yards with very little maneuvering space filled with other trucks. I've always been a tinkerer. In my spare time, I dreamed up a way of being able to see behind me in those situations.

I came up with what you see in the photos. It cost me about $350 in parts (I can post the Bill of Materials and circuit diagram if someone would like). Everything outside of framing and nuts/bolts was ordered from Amazon. The remainder was purchased from Home Depot or Lowes. It took about 5 or 6 hours to assemble and get adjusted. I subsequently built a second one for a co-worker a couple of months later who demanded one. That one took me about 3 or 4 hours as I had the process down a bit better.

Anyway, here's some key information... I tested this concoction line of sight on residential blocks and was able to receive clear video up up to 400 feet. I've been using this unit for months on various combinations of tractors, trailers, campers, flatbeds, etc. I've always received clear signals not only parked, but yes, on the highway. Yes, it works great on 53' trailers with a twin-screw tractor in a crowded city. Basically, it's done exactly what I need it to do (a) help me hook up ball hitches to 40' - 45', 20k lb campers and (b) backup those combos and traditional tractor/trailers in precarious situations safely when alone (which is often). It's got 8x 50lb magnets for use on metal roofs, lift-gates, etc. The mounting system is extremely strong. I have to use great effort to remove it. Regardless, I use a small safety cable with carabiners just in case. At times, I've used c-clamps and/or 1" straps to fasten it to aluminum edges or fiberglass roofs. The camera angle is completely adjustable so that I can mount the system both vertically and horizontally and still obtain the proper angle and the view I need. It's all aluminum frame with stainless steel fasteners. Everything is waterproof. The battery is a 3 amp lead acid unit. Months later, I've never worn it down and requires only occasional charging. I wired in 2 separate switches. One turns the battery circuit on/off. The other, turns the load (camera in this case) on/off. This way, I can charge the battery in sunlight without the load if I so desire. Turning both switches on, powers the camera.

Anyway, just thought this might be a helpful idea for a handful of others perhaps. There was nothing on the market that met my needs quite like this. I needed complete portability as I often switch tractors/trailers. I required a high-capacity battery that could last for hours, solar charging and a variety of mounting options. The existing options lacked either range, reliability, mounting options and/or charging options. As of this writing, nothing combines those features that I could find. In the end, this thing helps me greatly.

Good day.

Attached Files:

Lux Prometheus and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    So.... you invented a Baby Cam...
    I’m thinking someone beat you to it.

;-)

4. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    But his is solar powered.

Lux Prometheus Thanks this.
  5. SubLo

SubLo Bobtail Member

Mar 25, 2018
    New York, NY
    Bingo. Plus range and mounting that you can't find. Portability - going from truck to truck, trailer to trailer in an instant.

Lux Prometheus, Matt43324 and IluvCATS Thank this.
  6. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    You should go on Shark Tank

MidWest_MacDaddy Thanks this.
  7. Snakeschasingcars

Snakeschasingcars Heavy Load Member

Mar 22, 2018
    I stoped reading as soon as i got to the part "members who post valuable information and help others."

Clearly you want to exclude me.

MidWest_MacDaddy Thanks this.
  8. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Ok that is awesome work right there, i just dont think most of us need a camera, i have driven cars with a backup camera and it is weird to drive and look at a screen , if i cant see something in my truck i just get out and look id probably still do that if i had a camera cuz i dont trust technology to much. But that is a awesome thing u built i wish i had enough wits in my brain to come up with somethin like that

SteerTire and MidWest_MacDaddy Thank this.
  9. MidWest_MacDaddy

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Some are, or can be, Battery Powered... and Solar Powered seems to be a permanent fixture.

10. SubLo

SubLo Bobtail Member

Mar 25, 2018
    New York, NY
    Thanks all! Much appreciated. I use it mostly for hooking up campers. Many of them are massive with 10' to 15' overhangs off the back axle. As you can imagine, such a setup has a tremendous blind swing. I've known more than one person who has taken out property on a semi-sharp turn towing one of these. If I were an OTR trucker, I probably wouldn't have much use for it.

D.Tibbitt and MidWest_MacDaddy Thank this.
  11. MidWest_MacDaddy

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    My WiFi will reach 53’ easily.
    Slap a magnet on the Baby Cam.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.