Wisconsin a good state for dump truck drivers?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Zonno, Apr 16, 2022.

1. Zonno

Zonno Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2018
    Doing a search on Indeed, a lot of dump truck jobs seem to be hiring well into the $20 hourly range, some of them not even requiring experience driving a dump truck, and others claiming no winter layoffs. If I don’t mind moving there, could this be a good state to be a dump truck driver? I’m currently in Georgia, and when I do a search in my state and neighboring states, the jobs starting out at that much are considerably less frequent. And according to research, the cost of living in Wisconsin is roughly the same as Georgia (ever-so-slightly higher), so it’s not like in New York or Cali where a person who earns $20 hourly is poorer than someone who earns $12 in my state.

It could be (despite their claims) that drivers do get laid off during the winter, so they have to be paid higher during the warmer months. And to stray a bit off topic, I’d be in for a rude shock as a Georgian when I experience my first winter up there, career notwithstanding.

And are there any other states in particular where a dump truck driver may prosper a bit more?

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    If you go to WI you will be in for a rude awakening come your first winter.

Puppage Thanks this.
  4. leviant0107

leviant0107 Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    Detroit, MI
    I live in Michigan, this past winter delivered fuel one night it was 2 degrees and I’ll never forget it.

OP, imagine that I hate the cold and come from a relatively cold (in the winter) place…you will hate the day you ever thought it was a good idea to move to Wisconsin come winter lol

But relatively more to the point, dump truck or end dump work thrives in Pennsylvania, Indiana, Michigan, etc. rust belt and Midwest.

bigguns and Zonno Thank this.
  5. leviant0107

leviant0107 Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    Detroit, MI
    To be completely honest if you want to maximize profitability in that sector you should look into here if you don’t mind cold in the winter (not WI cold but still cold)

I can think of several companies offhand who pay top dollar for end dump and dump truck work. Low end being $25 an hour, $31 for cement mixers (Class B) etc

There’s a reason we’re allowed to spread 164k over 11 axles lol

Here Titan Concrete pays $31 an hour through construction season to operate a concrete mixer. You WILL make 100k working March through December or so.

Then they partner with Universal so you can drive with them and bump docks at the Chrysler plant during the off season. Same rate of pay.

North Pole Nightmare and Zonno Thank this.
  6. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    As for the Wisconsin winters, it depends where in WI you are referring, Beloit or Superior?
    Years ago, I drove tri, and quad axle dump trucks for 3 ‘seasons’. Laid off from roughly Thanksgiving to almost April 10th.
    Just a week or so before the 3rd layoff I hired on with an LTL company, just could not take another ‘winter off’.

Zonno Thanks this.
  7. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    I think a lot of the dump truck outfits do snow removal in the winter months. Problem with Wisconsin is you never know how much snow you will get so it’s hard to count on.

8. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    My dads dumps stayed in the yard from freeze-up to break-up and got worked on. The drivers that didn’t work in the shop or run one of the highway trucks over the winter were at home drawing paycheques out of their banked hours from the previous season. Those were construction trucks though, not pure haulage ton/mile units.

Kyle G. Thanks this.
  9. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    That’s the part I hated the most, sitting at home drawing unemployment. And trying to stretch what you earned during the summer to make it till spring.
    And by the way, if I’m not mistaken, ‘banking hours’ is illegal. Not sure nowadays, but years ago it was.

10. Capacity

Capacity Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Neenah Wi
    Wisconsin is a great state to make a living as far as snow we don't get much , just cold.
    Indeed.com is loaded with driving jobs in the Appleton area anything is available.
    Local , dump , otr , yard dog , private fleet.
    The big guys here are,
    Boldt Const
    Micheles Const
    Faith Electric
    Bellagioso Cheese
    Johnsonville Meat
    Sargento Cheese
    Kitchen Fresh Foods
    TNT Crust
    Red Arrow Liquid Smoke
    Alliance Washing Machines
    Mcain Foods.
    I wish you luck.

Zonno Thanks this.
  11. Zonno

Zonno Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2018
    A quick Google search reveals that Wisconsin is the #1 state for dump truck drivers (though it goes without saying you should take such searches with a proverbial grain of salt). However, this site also lists Wisconsin as #1, and Indiana as #2.

10 Best States For Dump Truck Drivers, 2022: To Work And Live

It lists Florida as 51st. Go figure.

Edit: District of Columbia is also on the list.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.