Without revolving 15k to 30k repair fund forget about it

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by peekaboonotyou, Aug 2, 2019.

1. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    That's not a lesson. Google has nothing for you.

I spent $15G in a month for an electrical issue. All over the country no one could find the problem.

Then one day. The engine got washed. And the wash boys found the problem and fixed. FOR FREE. Otherwise. It would have a been tow bill from the wash and another wasted shop repair.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. johnnyman1099

johnnyman1099 Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2017
    I do recommend Google to research on shops but you must be wary and skeptical.

Whenever I am in an unfamiliar area and need truck service, I turn to Google to locate a shop with good ratings. Any shops with many bad ratings will be avoided. I avoid all of the dealers, Volvo, Freightliner, Kenworth, Cummins, Detroit, etc. The small independent shops are way better than the dealers. The main reason for this is the turnaround time. Time is money and downtime cost more than most repair bills. The second reason why I avoid the big dealers is because they are spoiled with easy eager customer willing to pay. Most of them are backed up and will take 2 to 5 days to get to you. If someone already waited a week to get his truck look at, he would be eager to pay whatever to get his truck moving.

4. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    The OP may seem bitter but really it’s just the truth about trucking. This industry will make you jaded and cynical in no time.

FoolsErrand and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  5. peekaboonotyou

peekaboonotyou Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2019
    Yeah these DEF systems on big trucks have an inlet screen and pressure relief valve that I am fairly sure if you tweak will throw the engine computer into derate mode.

When I mentioned it to service manager it was like I brought out holy water and the cross. He wants to replace crap. I am not a mechanic so I would have to risk breaking that stuff to figure it out so you trust these guys.

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Oh I'm sure these shops are just ITCHING to tweak these screens and valves to milk you of your profits.

tommymonza Thanks this.
  7. bigdad7

bigdad7 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2010
    ks
    Oh this is the unhappy roadrunner driver lol....thier CEO when to jail now why would you expect honest dealings from them

8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Tough to solve when it's not permanent.

A wire between starter and computer that ran along the frame. And had 2mm of bare insulation. So once in a blue moon. It shorted and shut the computer down.

One of them difficult things to find. When it's not acting up

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  9. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    If you gave me a Emmision truck from the problematic years I would walk away.

10. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
  11. Savaas teach me

Savaas teach me Bobtail Member

Aug 5, 2019
    So what is a good alternative to leasing? I am knew and dense....

12. roadtech

roadtech Medium Load Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Northeast
    Learn the business on someone else’s dime as a company driver and save your money. Do that for a few years and you won’t be new and dense. You’ll be more experienced and wiser.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.