Wolf Creek Pass Claims A Driver

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by mjd4277, May 22, 2018.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    I wonder why he didn’t use the runaway ramp. Is it true that if you use a runaway truck ramp that it will cost 1000’s of dollars to get you out of the soft gravel and get it back to usable?

Maj. Jackhole Thanks this.
  3. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    That's cheap compared to the other outcome.

4. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Sometimes they have to setup a crane to get it out. And that gravel is pea gravel gradually getting deeper so you sink more the farther you go in. Would probably rip the bottom of the truck really good too. But you will live.

5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    There's maybe 6 passes on common US or interstate highways that I can think of where as you begin at the top, if you need to use brakes to keep under 35, you're going to fast, that's one of them.

Another flatlander bites the dust. He and those like him stays off of the Colorado passes, I'll stay out of Florida. I hate summers. Everybody wants to run out west when it's pretty and there's no chain requirements.

6. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Thought he had it under control I'm sure.

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Pro tip from the Colorado DOT " You might consider using Jake brakes."

8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Probably the first full, tight switch-back curve he's ever seen. Seems there's signage to indicate this near the top. But if you know it's there and what it is from past experience, you're not going to be stupid and get yourself into that situation. Obviously he didn't know the extent of the curve. If he could navigate that one, he MIGHT be able to navigate the next one, but doubtful, but at least there he would have crashed into earth and trees instead of off a cliff.

I've not been through there since they added new signage. In these situations, I imagine it's almost always a 50/50 combination of lack of respect or understanding of the severity and length of the grade, and less then ideal brakes at the tractor, trailer or both.

Good, working brakes can offset a dumb driver, and an intelligent driver can offset some slightly maladjusted brakes, but combine the two and you have a recipe for disaster.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    06driver, Lepton1 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  9. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    That ramp is going way uphill. Doesn't even need gravel it appears.

10. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    There's some of them seem that way. I saw one out in Wyoming I think it's between ten sleep and buffalo it was just cables stretched between a couple brick walls, I wouldn't take that one I guess looks like a way to get decapitated or something.

Lepton1 and Trucking in Tennessee Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.