womdering about Covenant trucking

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by wolfen, Mar 17, 2011.

1. ronin

ronin Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    2019? They do 8, 9, 10 year CDLs in Florida?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wolfen

wolfen Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Dalton GA
    I renewed mine in JAN of 2011 and my exp date is 01/2019 so i,m going to say it,s 8 years. when i lived in GA it was every 5 years.

4. ronin

ronin Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Didn't realize any state had an 8 year license.

5. wolfen

wolfen Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Dalton GA
    I,m looking at them now and they say exp JAN 2019. it might be something new they just started you might want to check with the DMV where you are and see what they say . I double checked everything before I left the DMV and they said everything was rite and I was good to go.

6. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    WI is an 8 year license.

7. ronin

ronin Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Wow, ok. Back ro Covenant.

8. ramkatral

ramkatral Heavy Load Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    I drove for Covenant when I was first getting into the business. Gave em about a year. Regular solo division is horrible. I'll tell you that right off the bat. Dealing with the idiots at the white house is frustrating. It's like enlisting in the military every time you want to drive off the yard. If you can squeeze onto a dedicated route you're good to go. I actually enjoyed the Georgia Pacific dedicated run I had. They will not let you idle for crap, but I was lucky and had an APU. I switched to team division and that was my best experience. Had a DM who kept us moving and I made a ton of money. Had a great team mate and it worked well. The hotel sucks, but what do you expect? Orientation is like a revolving door. The meals are crap. Pretty much what you can expect from a 'starter' company. And I wouldn't hold my breath that Swift or any of them are any better. Just set your jaw and get through it and you'll eventually get to the better smaller companies.

9. Mdbluecrab

Mdbluecrab <b>Crusty Crab</b>

Feb 4, 2010
    White Plains, Maryland
    Not driving for the last 8 years means you'll have to be re-trained. That means being paired up with another driver/trainer for a few weeks after you complete orientation, at a trainees pay rate.
    I'm not sure what trucking company you should apply to but be prepared to stay with that company for 1 year (standard contract), at ridiculously low wages.
    Your best bet is to first check out the local trucking companies in your area that might be able to help you but as with most, if not all trucking companies, their insurance requires at least 1 year of verifiable driving experience within the last 2-3 years.
    Good luck and I hope everything works out for you.

10. LimpyLegs

LimpyLegs Medium Load Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Midland,VA
    Don't call CRST either...swift maybe but only because I haven't had a run in with them.

11. bulletproof77

bulletproof77 Medium Load Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Victorville, CA
    "It's a child not a choice"....Meanwhile, their bending their drivers over the fuel tanks..Good Christians my rear end..Bottom feeders under the guise of Christianity..Nice. Gee, maybe you can be a trainer in 6 months and make the big bucks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.