Wondering if we should be worried...

Discussion in 'PAM' started by digitaldiva1229, Feb 28, 2009.

1. digitaldiva1229

digitaldiva1229 Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Crosby, Texas
    My husband is a new driver for P.A.M. He has only been driving since Jan 20th. The first two weeks were slow with few miles. I was worried about making it then the last three weeks he has really been busy and the pay has been good.

Now he has been called in to Tontitown for a 'safety check'. What is that exactly?

He also just called and said that there are a number of drivers up there that have been waiting for a truck for as long as 10 days. He has a truck but does the 'safety check' have anything to do with them taking it for any reason?

Also, he is very concerned about two accidents he has had. In a north east state he hit the second story of a building that was in his blind spot. He was turning the corner, watching the street sign and hydrant in his mirror and the first story was recessed from the road but the second was out to the road. There was no damage to his trailer or a citation but of course the company was contacted for insurance.

Then this morning in OK he got the front bumper of another drivers truck pulling out of a truck stop. He is scared to death that he will lose his job. Do we need to be living in fear?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PharmPhail

PharmPhail Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    I'd say you have good cause to worry, but you're not going to know until you know. Hopefully he gets a lecture being a new driver.

That 2nd story accident is kind of scary. Just when you think you're looking out for everything, another DIMENSION jumps out at you.

Best of luck.

Baack Thanks this.
  4. Miles_Of_Truckin

Miles_Of_Truckin Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2008
    MD
    I'm not trying to scare ya, but having two accidents since jan the 20th is not good. So i really don't want to say the wrong thing, but i would maybe getting prepared you know. But then again they might want to talk to him to see if they can help out with a few thing's. Maybe send him back out with a trainer, Just tell him to be very very careful from now on. Specially if nothing happens, hope everything works out.:biggrin_255:

Baack Thanks this.
  5. EbonSaint

EbonSaint Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Ortonville, Michigan
    Possibly. Depends on how close the accidents were to one another and if he was on probation after the first incident. They've been laying-off/terminating drivers with accidents on file with Transport. PDS drivers aren't moving enough these days to have too many incidents :biggrin_25525:, but my last co-driver got a major preventable down here in Laredo for dinging a broken chainlink fence with the back corner of his trailer and then the dock supervisor came out and said he ran over the fence and destroyed it, which was an outright lie. The probation letter said if he had any further incidents major or otherwise, he would be terminated.

Best of Luck.

Baack Thanks this.
  6. PharmPhail

PharmPhail Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    Any update on this?

7. digitaldiva1229

Jan 18, 2009
    Crosby, Texas
    No update yet. He is in Tontitown waiting for tomorrow. We are just prayingg that all will go well. He was not on probation for the first indecent but who knows. I'll post again as soon as I know something. Thanks so much all!

8. NukedNative

NukedNative Light Load Member

Aug 13, 2008
    St Joseph, MI
    Still waitin for an update..

9. screaminbytes

screaminbytes Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2009
    North Jackson, Ohio
    Honesty is this. They are getting the truck back and putting him on a bus home. Can't believe anyone who works for Pam would'nt tell you the truth.
    Sorry.

10. digitaldiva1229

Jan 18, 2009
    Crosby, Texas
    So sorry, I'm late with the update. Thanks for being concerned.
    He arrived at Tontitown last Sunday and Monday morning the safety check began. He had to go though all the stations, safety and logs and all were closely reviewed with him. It was a long and arduous process. We were both wrecks with each step.

The gentleman that handled safety was very gracious, soft spoken and kind. He reviewed his records, made him watch safety videos (which my husband admitted were a great review. He said he wished he had seen them before ever getting on the road).

Also, they noted in his file that after he did his training with another driver he was sent home with all the other drivers in early December and he didn't get a truck for another 6 weeks. (That was something my husband was concerned about then. That was a long time to be a newbie and not drive and then be tossed into the game and told to run.)

In logs he found many mistakes that they reinstructed him over and again, more videos. I told him that if they were taking the time to make him watch videos that they were not sending him home but he still wasn't sure.

All in all, they put him on 120 days of probation. Zero tolerance. We are thankful for the second chance (Sorry to disappoint those that were certain he'd be on a bus home! Prayer works!)

On the downside he was scheduled for a service (can't remember what its called...) with about a million points of service. He was told (after he got there!) never to have it done in Tontitown because it takes forever but on the road it can be done in a matter of hours. They were right. He truck went into the shop last Wednesday and just came out this moring. He been there since a week ago Sunday at a whopping $25 a day. He is number 11 for a load. Thank goodness!

I'm still praying for him that he stays safe and makes no mistakes. I'm praying for all you on the road that you remain safe and employed! It's good to have company on here.

11. screaminbytes

screaminbytes Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2009
    North Jackson, Ohio
    Don't really know why you assume people are disapointed that he didn't get sent home. But in any case, good luck with everything. I did sorta forget that PAM is in very bad shape with drivers and perhaps keeping your husband was better than forking out yet another school fee for a new driver. Eventually you and your husband will understand that we at Pam are all just little ants on an ant hill in the big open desert that no one will ever see and the only marks you will make in Pams eyes are negatives. CIAO!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.