Wood dealer

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by BreatheEasy, Oct 28, 2018.

1. BreatheEasy

BreatheEasy Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Hello gang. Anyone here know about the wood broker game as it pertains to logging. I’m thinking about getting into that, but I have some questions... for example, where do wood dealers get their money from to front the log crews there equipment?... how r their connections made?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    What part of the country are you in? If you're west of the Rockies I might have some answers for you.

4. azheavyduty

azheavyduty Light Load Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Glendale, AZ
    Are you thinking about going to land owners and purchasing their timber, then having the land logged and selling logs to a mill? If you have to ask these questions, you don't know enough about it to start. You need to know timber and logging to be successful. These connections are made through years of being in the industry.

REO6205 and jbatmick Thank this.
  5. jbatmick

jbatmick Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl
    In my area, logging is a huge industry. It is also a slow starvation, very few do well in it.
    The wood buyers ( huge mills taking about a hundred loads a day ) often will front the $$$$ to start an experienced woodsman, but then they dictate the rules for the logger, often putting them in the worst places to produce wood.
    Unless you are very knowledgeable in logging already , stay out. Learn the business first.

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Up in Western Canada it used to be you needed to buy a union job in order to haul. Non-union guys would get the scraps no one else wanted (but if a union truck found himself out of work, the scabs went home). Not sure how it works now though.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.