word police

Discussion in 'Truck Forum Information Center' started by trucker_101, Feb 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trucker_101

trucker_101 Heavy Load Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Alberta
    Hello, I was just wanting to know if the word police could ease up just a little? I understand that some younger people may be on the board at times, but I'll bet that 99.99% of the time we all are over 18. :biggrin_25514::biggrin_25514:

123456 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    Could you be more specific here? This is a family friendly site, and visible by all ages member or not. I'm wondering what has you wanting to ease up on the language. We have a password protected area, if you want to cut loose with the language.

Lilbit Thanks this.
  4. Joetro

Joetro Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Post Falls, ID
    And if you're talking about spelling and grammar, then absolutely not. ;)

5. trucker_101

Apr 23, 2010
    Alberta
    I don't have any need to "cut loose" but I do read a lot of posts where you see allot of "###" & there are many words that are now part of normal speech & even in dictionaries, like #####. I understand not wanting most 4 letter cuss words on here but that one is 3 letters & I was just reading a post that had ### twice. Now I can assume that the word was #####, but that didn't quite fit so i don't know what it was & the meaning of the post was lost. And again,most of these words are a part of everyday language now, Just like at one time the language was full of "thee" & thou, and many words that were not said then are normal now. I have a feeling this post will have "###" many times because of the slang for backside.
    :biggrin_25514::biggrin_25519:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
    123456 and Admin Thank this.
  6. Admin

Admin TTR Forum Owner Staff Member Administrator

Apr 6, 2009
    For me, it's not so much an issue of age as an issue of politeness and professionalism. You can go to pretty much any trucking site and find users reinforcing vulgar stereotypes about the profession, and I think one of the things that sets this community apart are our efforts to show a better side. We don't always succeed, and sometimes we go too far in the other direction, but I'm comfortable with the current policies and the character of the community that they have helped to shape.

I appreciate that you spoke up and shared your constructive thoughts!

annettecj, Ducks, Lilbit and 8 others Thank this.
  7. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I cannot understand the juvenile need to post such comments and the use of # in many posts.

There are threads that are loaded with such slang and it shows poorly.

8. trucker_101

Apr 23, 2010
    Alberta
    Thank you & I am trying to be constructive and I wasn't asking for the word police thingy to be turned off, just adjusted a little. If you would like to look at all the posts I have made to date, you won't find any vulgar words or hash marks, except for one where I was making a joke about all the hash marks in their post. But going by the meaning of the word, alot of the posts are either "vulgar things" that have happened to the poster or about "vulgar things" they have done to others. There is one thread on here thar tells us of a driver being left outside in the truck by his trainer "vulgar". And another one today with a driver telling us how he broke the camera on the photo takers head,that sounds "vulgar" to me by the definition of the word? There is one where by the "tone" of the post it sounds like she is being abused by her husband, again by the definition of the word it sounds vulgar to me.
    So as you can see by my examples there are vulgar things posted here quite often.
    Please don't misunderstand my intentions, I think this site is great & i'm very glad I found it. I just think some of the words that are blocked shouldn't be.

dictionary.reference.com

vul·gar   

-adjective
    characterized by ignorance of or lack of good breeding or taste: vulgar ostentation.
    indecent; obscene; lewd: a vulgar work; a vulgar gesture.
    crude; coarse; unrefined: a vulgar peasant.
    of, pertaining to, or constituting the ordinary people in a society: the vulgar masses.
    current; popular; common: a vulgar success; vulgar beliefs.
    spoken by, or being in the language spoken by, the people generally; vernacular: vulgar tongue.
    lacking in distinction, aesthetic value, or charm; banal; ordinary: a vulgar painting.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
    tinytim Thanks this.
  9. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    You can get your point across WITHOUT the cussing, either verbally, or in print. If you don't believe me, watch any newscast or read any paper.

10. trucker_101

Apr 23, 2010
    Alberta
    I never said I couldn't get my point across. Maybe you misunderstood what I wrote?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  11. Admin

Admin TTR Forum Owner Staff Member Administrator

Apr 6, 2009
    I think we'll be getting really off the point if I try to address all the issues you bring up in your post, so I'll just hit on the main one: You feel there are some words being bleeped out by the censor that shouldn't be. Particularly, you take exception to the word 'as#' being bleeped out.

The offensiveness of particular words varies widely from person to person. The folks at Merriam-Webster might get into deep debates about this sort of thing, but my quick and dirty decision process is to ask myself, "Would I use this word if I was being interviewed for a job?" I wouldn't go about using this method to find new words to add to the filter, but it has kept several other borderline words like 'as#' in there.

I bet I'm coming off as a prude, but if these policies have had any effect on the community and our usefulness to truck drivers, I don't believe it has been a negative one.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.