Words of wisdom, tips, etc. Please!!

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by slick mick, Feb 5, 2020.

1. slick mick

slick mick Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Central Virginia
    I just got a local heavy hauling job. I have plenty of OTR and local flatbed experience hauling all kinds of steel coils, steel beams, lumber, etc. I've moved some smaller equipment on tag trailers behind dumptrucks, but I'm new to RGN and heavy hauling. This job will be hauling equipment owned by the construction company who says their operators are responsible for loading and unloading so that's helpful. Any words of wisdom, tips, etc.??? Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    Reason for edit: Clarity
    D.Tibbitt and Landincoldfire Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Landincoldfire

Landincoldfire Heavy Load Member

Sep 27, 2015
    New Holland, Pa
    Seeing you will be pulling and driving the same equipment. Take some to get to know it. And you will probably end up loading and unloading. Study the permits. Don't skimp on securement but you know this part.

booley, D.Tibbitt and slick mick Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I don't know. You need to be prepared to load the equiptment yourself.

I run a four wheeled front end loader myself when working for wages when I can find one to run. If you asked me to load that onto YOUR trailer? Erm... they don't pay for that to me. if I wrecked it then its all on me. You probably will end up getting that thing on there yourself.

Not to say I wont try it, the CAT 936 I had was good footing most of the time.

5. Landincoldfire

Landincoldfire Heavy Load Member

Sep 27, 2015
    New Holland, Pa
    Maybe just reading through some of the threads will give some added insight.

I keep a Google doc on my phone with notes and loading cheats. It's hard to stay on top of all the random crap I move. Keeping notes can point me in the right direction.

D.Tibbitt and slick mick Thank this.
  6. RickyDickyDo

RickyDickyDo Heavy Load Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Loveland, Colorado
    Been heavy hauling for 9+ years. Learn how to load and unload the equipment. The only piece to date that i will not load is a scraper. One thing you will get use to is how the equipment will rock the trailer and truck. Check your routes, restrictions and heights. Ask all the questions from other heavy haul drivers, as a rule for us who do this. We are willing to help and educate.

booley, slick mick and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  7. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
  8. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    Just use your head ! I did a lot of mistakes but common sense and oversecurement always win !

booley and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  9. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    ...i am bit jealous ... I always wanted to go to heavy haul but always had some reasons stopped me ... Didn't go on the road since September and missing it a lot ... Best of luck to you sir !
    For me staying around my family and pushing another venture is priceless

booley and slick mick Thank this.
  10. truckdad

truckdad Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Penn Valley, CA
    Here's some good reading Mick.... How much and what type of equipment will you be moving?

E.L.D.E.R. - Experienced Lowbed Drivers Essential Rules

11. slick mick

slick mick Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Central Virginia
    Thanks Truckdad. I'll be moving 300 series CAT excavators, rubber tire loaders, mini excavators, backhoes, and skid steers as needed to an from the yard / job sites. Sometimes everyday, other times not, depending on the work schedule. I'll be driving a multi axle dump when not moving equipment. I'll take a look at the link. Thanks again.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.