Work History

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by packersfanmw87, Jan 13, 2019.

1. packersfanmw87

packersfanmw87 Medium Load Member

Jan 7, 2019
    West Allis, WI
    I'm currently living in China. I've been working here since 2012 teaching English at two schools and then my own. My wife and I will be moving back to America in the summer. I want to go into trucking with Millis Transfer, but I'm worried about the work history. I have no idea how I'll be able to prove my work history in China. Any ideas?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. packersfanmw87

Jan 7, 2019
    West Allis, WI
    Hmm, thanks for that productive answer.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Did you file income taxes? W-2 forms showed you were working.
    If no tax forms, get some documentation that you were employed; that's easy to get in China for a few dollars.
    I have a home in Beijing and also one in Anhui Province.
    Which state will you live in here. You can contact the company you want to work for and ask what they will need. Many drivers on here had no problem getting into trucking after living overseas for years.

5. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    You’re welcome. Thanks for the disingenuous question.

But, I’m willing to bet Alphabet has kept a neat folder on your activities. And you can get an official copy of your file by filling out a FOIA. It should contain every job you held while in China.

Coover and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    All Homeland Security wants is accounting for time. No gaps really. Just be sure you aint off in Kurdistan fighting Iranian Soldiers or learning to be a terrorist etc.

Rideandrepair and Coover Thank this.
  7. packersfanmw87

Jan 7, 2019
    West Allis, WI
    Yes, I've filed income taxes taking the overseas exemption. Unfortunately no W2s involved. Thanks for the helpful answer.

Not sure why it is a disingenuous question. I'm genuinely wondering what I would need to gather to prove my work history in China. It's a huge transition back to the "real world".

8. packersfanmw87

Jan 7, 2019
    West Allis, WI
    Well I wonder if my passport will help with that. I've been constantly employed since I was 13. The last 8 have just been in China. I mean I'm dealing with all this stuff working on my wife's immigration stuff. Just don't have a ton of hard official records of employment in China. Things are a little different over here.

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    One guy that lived a couple blocks from me in Beijing didn't have any difficulty getting started in trucking. He'd lived in China about 5 years. He applied with a trucking company for cdl training and was accepted.
    Apply with Millis and if they want anything other than what's on the application, they'll tell you.

10. packersfanmw87

Jan 7, 2019
    West Allis, WI
    Nah, I've just been learning extreme defensive driving the last couple years. 4-wheelers, trucks, peds, e-bikes CRAZY over here. None of those pesky DOT regulations for the trucks on the road. Always overweight, underlit, and about to tip over on you.

11. packersfanmw87

Jan 7, 2019
    West Allis, WI
    Yeah, I'm probably getting worked up over nothing. Heck, my employer nine, ten years ago can attest to my work ethic, character, and the fact I left to teach in China. They always beg me to come back when I visit. I'll try to gather some "official" evidence of my work in China.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.