Worker's Comp Ins.

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by BoyWander, Dec 26, 2016.

1. BoyWander

BoyWander Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    I'm trying to fin info on what worker's comp insurance costs, for general OTR drivers, 48 states.
    If one day in the future I had wanted to purchase another truck and wanted to stick a driver in it, if by chance I did find a good one, then what would the normal rate be? I think every state is different, but I am in MI.
    I also thought I had read MI does it differently than most other states, but again, not sure.

I thought I had read that for this particular industry it's somewhere around 10-12% of what they get paid but I'm not entirely sure. Seems it could be more. I would pay on a W2. So I'm currently guesstimating that if I had paid a driver a salary of $60,000 per year, then the insurance would cost another 6-8 thousand on top of that, plus I know I'd pay half of the employment taxes, half of 15.3% if that is what it still happens to be during the year I hire.

Also is it standard to purchase worker's comp for myself for driving my own truck, or would OCC/ACC insurance suffice?

Can others share their experiences?

Thanks a lot in advance for any and all replies.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I pay on a 1099, I have the driver pay the WC which Michigan is the cheapest.

I would not pay on a w2 for a number of reasons, one is that it is hard to allow the driver to make decisions to run the truck as they want to, and that means less money for all. I compensate them at the end of the year for things like SE tax and other things so it is just easier for all of us.

4. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    I pay my guys on a W2 and have occupational hazard insurance. WC is just too expensive. I do not have any on myself. Has not been an issue so far.

5. 51.50

51.50 Heavy Load Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Salem Oregon
    I bought Occupational accident insurance. It covers medical costs for on the job injury but does not pay " benefits" . More affordable and keep the lawyers out of it.

6. Optimus Pitecus

Optimus Pitecus Bobtail Member

Dec 27, 2016
    I work in insurance. I recomend OCC/ACC , but it has a lower cost than you are thinking, it depends on the age of the driver.

7. samcperez

samcperez Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2016
    In California you cant buy workmans comp for yourself as a sole prop or single member LLC not sure about s or c corp.Cost can be 12-15% of payroll and are paid in advance of Estimated earnings.I have heard you can get work comp through a company called PayChex and pay as you go but havent looked into it.

8. BoyWander

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    Thanks for the replies.
    "All employers are required by Michigan Law to carry a workers compensation insurance policy. There are NO exemptions provided for workers compensation insurance."

So I would have to have WC, unless they are not an "employee" which means I'd pay on 1099, but I won't do that. I've already been down that road as a 1099 "contractor", didn't turn out too well.

I did find one quote, of 6.3% of pay.

9. RavenRabbit

RavenRabbit Bobtail Member

Dec 22, 2016
    What issue did you have with the 1099 im interested in knowing what could be the cons of a 1099? I've been thinking of getting a driver witha 1099.

10. BoyWander

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    Well I worked for an O/O who was leased onto a carrier. I got backed into at Pilot one day while parked. The O/O decided I had to pay the $2,500 deductible to fix the truck. So he withheld 2.5 weeks of pay.

Since I wasn't an employee, I wasn't covered by normal labor laws, so in order to get recourse, I had to convince the department that I was mis-classified. Also had to get copies of all the checks I received that year, which cost me $80, had to make copies of all my log sheets, and copies of all dispatches that I was on. I did the same route every week. I also was not able to collect unemployment, even though the reason I quit was because I wasn't getting paid. I ended up getting $900 for it all.

Bottom line is if you drive someone else's truck, they pay for all the expenses, and it's the only job you have or can have (you're not "contracting" out your services to more than one source of work), you're considered an employee by law and have to be paid like one. W2, tax withholding, etc.

RavenRabbit Thanks this.
  11. RavenRabbit

RavenRabbit Bobtail Member

Dec 22, 2016
    ####, that sucks. I can see the road you've walked my friend and i will learn vicariously. Thanks for the info.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.