working on percentage??

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by tace, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Dia's Hemp & More

Dia's Hemp & More Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Cleveland,TN
    I am having the same problem. Husband is suppose to get 25% of the load. He drives their truck but has to pay his own taxes. He is looking for a new job. I told him he was getting screwed.
    Finally got proof ie: loads paid x amount boss took 25% based on pay with fuel surcharge then deducted all expenses the we recieved what was left out of what the load paid before fuel surcharge and it does not come out to 25%

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PharmPhail

PharmPhail Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    That's not getting screwed. A truck only makes about 30% above overhead. THe owner is working on a serious shoestring even at 25%.

Of course you pay your own taxes. It's not even legal for someone else to pay it.

4. Dia's Hemp & More

Dia's Hemp & More Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Cleveland,TN
    Well everyone has their opinion and if you only get about 15% of the 25% you are told and the company takes the rest the math does not add up. Also when you are paying all of the taxes --ss, medicare, etc out of it. That doesn't leave much. The owner working on a shoestring is hardly the case, when all fuel, fuel surcharge, tolls, weight tickets, and misc truck expenses like freon come out of the money. Out of a $2799 load the driver gets whatever is left after the owner takes his part and everything else I listed about and the driver gets $400. So the owner is not only getting his 25% off the top and the return on the fuel, fuel surcharge, and other expenses so I would say that's a pretty healthy shoestring.

Also he was hired as a company driver not a contract employee or O/O so yes the taxes should come out of his pay and the company is required to pay a percentage of these. Companies in my state pay 7.75% per each employee on SS & Med and the employee pays the other 7.75%. Where right now were are paying 15% of the 15% he makes plus federal.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.