Worksmens comp

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by starmac, Jun 14, 2019.

1. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    what does workmens comp cost you one man show guys?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Spyro2112

Spyro2112 Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Ooida. 144 monthly, don't have to have it

4. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    That can’t be real workers comp......

And I don’t have it.

roshea Thanks this.
  5. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Don't have it. Read once that self employed folks rarely receive workers comp, or even apply for it. Rates are to high. To many always getting "hurt". Wanting a paid vacation.

adayrider Thanks this.
  6. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    It’s like 30% of a minimum salary ....... I forget how much it was.....

stillwurkin Thanks this.
  7. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    An owner here can opt out, but you can not even haul for most outfits here without it. I nevver have figured out exactly how much it costs, I will think the last 2 grand I sent them finished it for the year, and it will not be long before I get a bill for another 2 grand. lol

Since I have only been hauling logs for the most part the last 3 years, I have opted out of it, now that I started hauling freight I had to buy back in and supposedly the first year will be 3600 bucks on a 2 payment plan.

Cat sdp Thanks this.
  8. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Wow. Knew a driver that tried to get workers comp just about everywhere he worked. People like him make the costs for premiums costly. There are a lot of folks like him..just my opinion.

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  9. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    The way I understand it the state sets the rates, percentages.
    Trucking here is HIGH.
    sawmill is HIGHER
    Logger is HIGHEST. especially if a chainsaw is used for felling.
    Many states requires it for any hired driver.
    The cheap ooida workmens comp does not work here for most places, there is some you can work for that will accept it.

10. UturnGirl

UturnGirl Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Texas
    I carried ooida comp and when I fell and broke 3 ribs they proved how valuable it can be. All med bills paid plus a weekly check. All that for a very small price. I heart ooida.

Tombstone69 Thanks this.
  11. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Back in 1978, I collected a workman's compensation check for a slight injury. I was working at a union shop supermarket at the time. I was 21 at the time.

Well anyhow, my supervisor, also in the union, REAMED my butt every which way from here to eternity.

From that day on, 41+ plus years ago, I NEVER again filed a workman's compensation claim, or any disability claim whatsoever. I TRULY and GENUINELY learned my lesson from an "old school" supervisor.

On a side note, I also NEVER again went to work for a union shop employer. I left the supermarket back in 1978, over 41+ years ago.

I am currently 62, will be 63 this year, (2019 - born 1956). Providing that both my health and current job both hold up, I will be retiring in another 4+ years, (December 2022 to December 2023), receiving full Social security retirement benefits, along with retirement income from my I.R.A., 401(K) plan, and an insurance annuity.

Truthfully speaking, I am really looking forward to retirement. I am working steadily and dutifully as I have always done, to avoid getting a "short timer's" attitude.

I am working very hard to avoid situations that can cause me to have seriously reduced hours with no benefits, or to be outright terminated. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, I am just NOT yet there.

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.