Worst thing swift ever did to me.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DAX_, Nov 4, 2017.

1. DAX_

DAX_ Medium Load Member

Sep 4, 2017
    This isn't recent and I'm pretty much over it now(atleast my therapist says I am) but I just wanted to share this story.

Before I start, I know a lot of people on here like to victim blame, so I'm ready for it. Hell, I'm not even the victim, and Swift may of very well been in the right, which is why I got over it and didn't let it upset me. Instead I just used it as a valuable trucking lesson to never make the same mistake again :)

So a few months ago I take my hometime(Dallas), and park my truck at our company terminal, in Lancaster. Those not knowing Lancaster is a suburb of Dallas, about 15 minutes away from Downtown Dallas.
    Anyways, while on hometime I'm at my girlfriend at the times house, who stays off camp wisdom and University Hills.

I been gone for a month so I take my usual 4 days of hometime.
    Usually when Im gone my DM would call me the day after or so, just to check up on me and all of that, but she recently got a promotion so I didn't really have a DM at the time, In fact they just finally replaced her 2 days ago, but thats besides the point I guess.

When I'm come back to the terminal, I find my truck not where I parked it.
    Since I been driving over a year at this point I knew that was weird, so I just immediately call someone at the Swift number and they tell me go to tractor assignment. Turns out I was "gone too long" and they started cleaning out my truck that morning.
    No big deal I thought, irritated yes, but upset not really.

Thats until I finally get my truck back and see SO many things were missing.

How it works when they clean out a drivers truck for them is, they put all the trash in one bag, and put your things in another bag.

So when I asked the guys, another AA man who I seen around the terminal before who had cleaned out my truck if he knows where certain stuff was he told me "anything that was on the floor I through away, if it means nothing to you it #### sure means nothing to me"

Ok fair enough, I thought, except this made no sense.

A few things that they DID save were actually on the floor, while certain things that were "thrown away" were either on my mattress or put up. For example, my old warn out adidas that were with my other belongs were on the floor.

My old iphone, that was "thrown away" was actually put up.
    As was my watt adapter that I use to plug my laptop in. Another thing that was unplugged from my 12v, but it was still either on my bed or on the stand. Yet it was "thrown away" with the trash.

So when I confront dude again and start pressing him about it, he goes into this little drawer, that has all kinds of "throw away" things in it, including another 12v adapter sincce he "coudlnt find mines".
    So he gives me another one, but I was still missing plenty of things, like the phone for example, as well as the gloves, scissors, etc.. but I just wrote those off as an L.

Ultimately I wasn't THAT mad, just upset, especially since I have been nothing but loyal and upfront to Swift and for them to clean out my truck without even calling me first was what pissed me off. It's not like I left and was on hometime for over a week or something crazy. Hell even if the 4 days were too much for them for whatever reason that week, I still would've been happy to go and clean my truck out for another driver and be assigned another tractor when I got back, considered I was only 5 minutes away from the terminal that whole weekend.

/rant, you live and you learn I guess.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    That’s Swift for ya.

Toomanybikes Thanks this.
  4. Hoofbeats

Hoofbeats Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Iraq
    I guess you could have called the day before you came back to met them know that you were coming back on time. Other than that,big companies don't care.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    No one at the company cares about you. There's a new class graduating every week, so no big deal. The guy that cleaned out your truck probably has a lot of nice stuff at his house. You're not upset about it, so the company wins another round.
    Some drivers would be really PO'd and demand to know where that $700.00 in cash is they had stashed in their pillowcase.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  6. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    This is why I refuse to let my truck stay parked at a yard while on home time, I'll be ###### if I'm having my things hone through and thrown away.

Moosetek13 Thanks this.
  7. A Bug

A Bug Heavy Load Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Sevierville TN
    Those guys are pretty eager to clean out trucks because it is one of their job perks that they get to pick through your things.

Things will not always be this way for you though. If you move to a smaller account at Swift or to another smaller company all together then you will be able to get to know all the folks in the office and they will contact you multiple times to before assuming you just up and left after a few days off.

tscottme and scottied67 Thank this.
  8. BigBob410

BigBob410 Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    Yeah I'd be pretty fired up seeing as if you're on the road a month at a time that pretty much is home!! I guess that's one of the many reasons I won't work for big companies. I would definitely go up the ladder to get my stuff or my money back!!

Tb0n3, Toomanybikes and tinytim Thank this.
  9. BigBob410

BigBob410 Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    Oh and a side note. I keep all my stuff of value in a back pack in case I need to make a quick exit!! I don't even unpack my clothes! Just me though..

tscottme Thanks this.
  10. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Swift rules - three days off and they will reassign the truck.

Yes they do it out of spite - they don't want you to take three days off. The more time you have in the truck the easier planning is for them.

Yes it is a bonus program for the shop personal.

An no this rule doesn't change with more time with Swift. They may ignore the rule, but their is by far no guarantees they will.

Even if you leave the truck for a day or two over the weekend, they will assign the truck to another driver 'on a temporary basis.' He can an will help himself to the contents of the truck. Seen it happen several times.

tscottme and scottied67 Thank this.
  11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Wow!!
    Maybe you need a career where you can live outside your therapist's office...
    If you have mental anguish from getting stolen from please get in a diffrent field. I don't want you driving and snapping and killing someone because you have mental issues.

I mean sure, get pissed. Go complain and such. I get that, but to need a therapist.... Again, just wow.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.