Worst Truck Stops in America

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by TylerHarris96, Sep 3, 2018.

1. TylerHarris96

TylerHarris96 Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2018
    As a fleet owner I'm trying to find out which truck stops for my drivers and I to avoid otr. If you're so kind, state the bad truck stop, and what was so garbage about it. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. navypoppop

navypoppop Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    Winter Haven, Fl.
    Stay away from these 3:
    1- New Transit T/S I-97 Millersville, Md.- Used to be decent but now paid parking if you can find any because locals leave their 4 wheeler there to reserve a spot. Very trashy.
    2- Trailways T/S US 301 Centreville, Md.- Also used to be a great little truck stop but restaurant is no longer open. Fuel and parking only so it is only a parking area.
    3- One Stop T/S US 301 Newburg, Md.- At one time this truck stop was very nice to stop before crossing the Bay Bridge Tunnel into Norfolk. The foreigner owners treat their employees very rudely and are very dirty. Parking only in a bind.

Mike2633 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You did not state your location or operating territory. It's easy to come up with a shotgun list of bad truckstops. But I want to apply it more fitted to your situation.

alds and Oldironfan Thank this.
  5. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    Almost all of the independent truck stops in the California Central Valley in between Bakersfield and Sacramento.

6. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    That's a loaded question....A like branded truck stop 100 mi apart can be as different as night and day. One can be clean, plenty of parking etc and the other filthy, lousy parking etc.

Mike2633 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. TylerHarris96

TylerHarris96 Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2018
    My bad I'm referring to the Northeastern region

8. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    The Pilot in SE Atlanta off of 285. Very bad ghetto area, drivers have been killed there in the past. Nothing but drugs, prostitutes, and illegal activity. I dont go there nor would I ever authorize any of my trucks to go if I owned a fleet.

9. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I don't go that way anymore. But most franchise stops that way are a cluster. There is 1 pilot with a u drive to the pump, and parking that's 30mins waiting to move in day light.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    North east.

Ok. That's narrows it down.

You do not want Jersey city. Off 15C Or any of the transloading there for Reefer work. I delivered two pallets of bacon at temperature onto one end of the open dock platform in the sun and two days later I had returned twice to collect or drop off loads. That bacon had begun to rot for lack of a better word in the sun. I hope they dumped it. What a waste. It had been 80 degrees that week with good sun and severe clear blue sky.

Anyway.

Jessup Md. The threat level at night and by the fuel desk towards drivers collecting money (Thuggies probably packing hang around the little game area within 10 feet of easy watching and visually counting the cash the drivers collect there) Hookers at night come out along with the sting activity. It's flat illegal.

Baltimore Plaza. Now I had good luck in this particular stop. But there were a increase in number of people walking over from the greyhound or independant bus stop up on the hill near it. We don't need to be bothered. Last time I was there back in 2001, they were doing a sort of remodeling or reconstruction that was not moving along in a timely manner. Seemed to me money was a challenge.

Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, my truckstops were a patch of shoulder or a bit of gravel next to a old time general store that had everything except fuel. (That I made sure to have plenty of where possible, Which is why I curse ATS for leaving me with a single fuel tank for that work... never enough) It was a chance to block the mountain off so that no one will bother me with fixit or make work message that is frivolous while I am actually working on a solid 9 hour sleep during my 10 off. NH in particular has a couple of good stops that will serve you down home food and actually leave you be. Ive thought about making a home up there once upon a time. But it's not to be.

Anyway.

Older stops like Amesbury has burned. That's gone. Foxboro off US 1 near Boston is still there. Probably. I hope. They better.

Connecticut has N. Brandford which isnt that bad but if you don't buy fuel or eat and spend money I think it's 10 dollars per day to get out. You generally did not stay there long. Just close enough to NYC to get through or in there if you had to, same with Boston.

Secondi Brothers on the other hand well... I have a on the fence balance with them. They are a old truckstop which is one hand good but other not so good. Darien is a third. Thats actually arest area. I don't think they have good morale anymore having been there like 30 years plus since they were rebuilt totally.

Lombardi is not a truckstop, but it might as well be. It's a rather high threat area. Not to mention verboten hazmat because of two schools unseen over the berm.

The delaware memorial bridge TA in Jersey pike (Exit two maybe?) is not that good. If you were out of options having passed all those truckstops beyond Hav're de grace, it's yourn fault.

Ohio well, I think there is what I remember as youngstown. That one is a tough stop. Cincinnati is another.

PA isnt too bad, just be careful in a place like Duncannon. However there are Amish eating places near Sunbury that has room for one or two trucks at a time if you can get across that divided road to get in there. Make sure you cross eastward the river dam and run up to 180 it's flat and saves you the hassle of scales and mountain pass on 15 above there.

Clinton NJ has a pilot. Used to be Johnny's I don't know what they have done there so far. It cannot be good now that pilot owns them.

I don't have very many other thoughts because half the truckstops in my life in that area (Crosskeys, Frederick etc) has been buried by big box parasite stores etc. PA has become less... accomodating of big rigs I hear. Which is unfortunate because that Commonweath lives and dies by trucking.

Getsinyourblood and 2old Thank this.
  11. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    I think he wants current information ...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.