Worth the cost of outfitting my truck?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by LoneWolf1016, Jul 14, 2019.

1. LoneWolf1016

LoneWolf1016 Bobtail Member

Nov 4, 2016
    Been talking to Bulk Transportation about leasing on with them. Gonna cost about $6,000 to get a PTO air compressor installed on my truck. Just wondering if it's worth the investment? Currently running flat bed out of Vancouver, WA grossing about 2-3k a week. Want to get into something more specialized that commands more pay. Right now I am doing the same #### job that guys who can't speak English do. Therefore not alot of pay involved. Basically going broke. Filed bankruptcy last year mostly due to DEF system breaking down. Don't want to quit trucking but gotta make more money!
    Feedback appreciated!

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I do not have any experience with air PTO.

We ran off a oil liquid type PTO as long the system has been taken care of there is no reason to worry about reliability. The biggest commandment in dumping anything is that you shalt not lean the truck.

4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I went to their orientation in Buckeye Arizona. Seems like anyone that's been there awhile has been chemically burned.

frito bandito Thanks this.
  5. LoneWolf1016

LoneWolf1016 Bobtail Member

Nov 4, 2016
    Were you signing on as a company driver or O/O?
    Not real excited about getting burned. But they do make you wear the full suit, boots, gloves, goggles hat and face shield. That's got to be a lot of fun in 110 degree heat!

6. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    Company. Company was $70K a year. The suit is ridiculous. I didn't seem like the O/O pay was going to be more beneficial. But I mean some of these guys get wtf burned. And it doesn't take much.

7. frito bandito

frito bandito Light Load Member

May 31, 2019
    If you've seen what some of these chemicals can do to flesh and bone you'd WANT to wear all that and more.

ChicagoJohn Thanks this.
  8. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    Well one guy that does the orientation is like a 30 year guy. He knows what he's doing. He got roasted. Like months in the hospital, surgeries, blah.
    The other is the terminal manager like a 20 year guy. Not as severe but your clothing basically becomes one with your flesh.
    You can have my spot.
    Neither was their own fault. A condition created by other drivers.

77fib77 and frito bandito Thank this.
  9. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    I'm currently running asphalt and emulsions with my company. Boots, FR coveralls, hard hat with faceshield... you just get used to it. You move slower and drink more water than you would in "comfortable" clothes.

10. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    I don't think I'd want to work around those other drivers.

Suspect Zero and ChicagoJohn Thank this.
  11. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    More often I dont touch a hose. Unless I go west Texas or small non and pops

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.