Would a cummins swapped ford make a good hotshot truck

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Cabover9670, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Cabover9670

Cabover9670 Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2019
    Indiana
    Would a cummins swapped ford make a good hotshot truck. I'm thinking a 99-04 super duty with a p pump 12v and zf6. Would there be problems getting someone to work on it when it breaks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    You had better be able to work on it your self. Ain’t no dealer gonna touch it. Dodge is gonna tell to call ford & ford is gonna laugh you off the property

Lite bug, Cabover9670 and Mike2633 Thank this.
  4. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Won't be many if any dealers who want to touch it, Cummins might work on it. By the time you got that going you would be well on the way to paying for a new Cummins.

Cabover9670 Thanks this.
  5. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Not much to a 12 valve anybody can work on that

6. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    GreenPete is right. When you have issues, and you will away from home you are in a pickle. When I am out and something goes wrong, I will take it to the dealership. Whether I have to tow it, limp in, or push it. I know i will pay dealership price, but they are going to have factory trained personal to work on the truck.

Cabover9670 Thanks this.
  7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I know of a few Cummins dealers will work on a conversion, as long as it is done with some planning and some documentation.

I know people will say otherwise but they don't care what the engine is in. A lot of motor homes are taking to a Cummins dealer too,

The last time I was at the Cummins dealer picking up parts for my dodge, there sat a ford conversion in the bay having an overhead.

By the way the cat dealer near by will work on conversions too.

8. bocker

bocker Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2018
    If you're mechanically inclined I would do it if you're not interested in putting out 30+ for another truck. Forget about dealers there's diesel pickup truck shopss everywhere now and if it's done right they wouldn't have a problem with it besides only issues you might face could be vacuum pump,starter, alternator, water pump simple things, just know what year engine is and any other components that might be incorporated into the swap, plus, no elds

9. olddog_newtricks

olddog_newtricks Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Just buy a Ram with the Cummins in it to start with and avoid the problems .

10. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    The OP has a legitimate question. He is looking for the best of all worlds. That question has been asked many times before here.

11. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    Who the hell goes to a dealer with a paid off used truck with non emissions diesel. Anyone will work on that if something wrong

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    AModelCat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.