Would like a little advice from other Schneider drivers

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by Priest85, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Priest85

Priest85 Bobtail Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Not that I would turn down advice from non-SNI drivers, but just spare me the "Schneider sucks" inanery.

I am a new SNI team driver (91-180 days) and have had my CDL just that long. My driving partner and I have had no accidents, incidents, complaints, or service failures since we started in Sept. of '07. Our weekly mileage started out at about 3000, but is now up to around 5400 to 6400, (if we don't sit).

The problem is that despite the fact that we are pushing hard every day to get these miles, our paychecks have been getting progressively smaller. Our last weeks work before the holidays was 6400 miles. The paycheck was only $550. We figured it an error and waited for the next, which should have been a 0 due to TAH. So we figured it would be about the same as the last, making up the missing difference. The total? $300. Looked this up only to find that it wasn't the missing difference, but the first load of the first week back from TAH.
    So we are out there four weeks at a time, pushing to put 1000-1250 miles a day. We run 6000+ paid miles a week, get our BOL's in before Saturday night, and the paycheck is still $550. What am I missing?
    We've spent the past week trying to figure it out, while still running, and our DBL gives no answers for any of it.
    In my mind, the math is simple. 6400 miles / 2 drivers = 3200 * .39 cents per mile comes to $1248 gross, right? I don't see how taxes can eat up $700, and per diem is supposedly there to increase my paycheck? So where is it going.
    This TAH, I plan to go over all my statements and compare them to my records. But until then, I would appreciate some advice on how to deal with SNI's system. Up until now, we've been getting the hemming and hawing that comes with just about every serious policy question, (including the one about how per diem works and whether it's right for me).
    As was written above, please save all the derogatory remarks. You never know, if this keeps up and I can't pay the bills, you can trot them out for the "I'm quiting Schneider, what's a good company to work for," post.

Thanks,

Priest

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. capnhector

capnhector Light Load Member

id be on your dbl about that as far as per diem goes they chop the millage pay by 15 cents and pay you a 13 cent per diem thats tax free which works out to an extra 1-2 cents per mile because of the tax saveings so it does get you more in your check if your getting paid the correct ammount of miles. so far im my working for schneider i (nock on wood) have never had a pay problem with a lack of miles on my check. there have been those times ive missed the dead line and a load was on the next check but thats a different story.

4. capnhector

i thought of some more stuff on per diem over the night but it wont let me edit for some reason. any way per diem also cuts down your gross w-2 earnings which is the basis for social security benefits when you can draw them also most banks wont take into account your per diem when you go for a loan for a car or a house. so if you are not in your peak earning years not going to buy a house and to some extent if your not going to buy a car then being on per diem is not bad. however if you plan on buying a house or you are in your peak earning years you do not want to be on per diem as with any financial decission talk to a financial planner or tax professional about your speciffic situation and see whats right for you.

5. BigDaddyJollyRob

BigDaddyJollyRob <strong>"El Oso"</strong>

Nov 10, 2007
    WARWICK,RI
    iF YOUR A TEAM DRIVER ARE YOU SPLITTING $.39 OR IS IT $.39EA?
    6400/2=3200*.195=$654. I THINK YOU NEED TO DOUBLE CHECK HOW MUCH YOU GET PAID.I THINK TEAMS SPLIT .39. HOPE THIS HELPS. YOU MIGHT DO BETTER SOLO 3200*.39= $1248.

6. Priest85

Priest85 Bobtail Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Well, some things have been cleared up.

We are making 35 cents per mile per driver, (with the truck mileage split between us). We were told by our original DBL that new drivers would be paid 37 cents per mile, and I made the mistaken assumption that this would increase after 90 days, hence the 39 cents.
    Fact of the matter is that the increase was only to 35 cents per mile, and that is reduced to 33 cents if you are on per diem.
    So now, we just have to scrutinize every pay statement for mileage disparities. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to when a load is put on your check, with loads showing two weeks after the fact, etc.
    We're still trying to figure it all out. Thanks for the advice, and any new advice is always appreciated.

david07003 Thanks this.
  7. LadyTrucker99

LadyTrucker99 Heavy Load Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Lexington, NC
    I dunno about this but maybe they are not paying you .39 split. It sounds kind of odd to me that a "new driver" even teams would make that much without some kind of experience. Maybe you need to double check with your dispatcher what is goin on. It could definitely be a mistake on their part. Also, make sure you keep all your stubs so you have some kind of proof.

8. capnhector

i make copies of my bol's before i send them in. every load i have i can go grab the bol for it. just my way to cya

9. LadyTrucker99

LadyTrucker99 Heavy Load Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Lexington, NC
    Maybe you werent paid for all the loads u thought you shoulda been for that week. I would definitely look into it.

10. betamax

betamax Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2007
    mi
    have you been pulling advances that can eat up your money lanspan is a good team company to check out i use to work for sni in the past and i had a prob with them not paying me for my loads especally short hauls. and solo might be a good choice also you are really rolling the miles and that per diem screws with you also you make something like 1 cent extra over all they will say 2 or 3 cents extra but they take 2 extra cents for their admin fees for per diem good luck.

11. Priest85

Priest85 Bobtail Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I've tried to minimize my advances. We can "borrow" up to $210 against our check as an advance. But that has caught me off in the past, so I'm doing without. I try to buy everything I need for a month on the road, and use as little money as possible while I'm out. This way as much money as possible goes into the bank for the family.
    I've also gotten off per diem as of this last check. So my per mile has gone up to .35 cents per mile, (and is supposedly to increase to ? upon my six month anniv.) But this just creates more questions. With my buying all my supplies before I go out, and with the fact that I buy very little on the road, will this make it more difficult to write my food off? I will probably have to post another topic.
    Again, I appreciate all the advice. It makes me glad to have found this forum.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.