Would Schneider be a good choice to start off on the right foot?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by OldDude50, Aug 16, 2012.

1. OldDude50

OldDude50 Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2012
    NC
    Would Schneider be a good choice to start off on the right foot?
    Here's my condensed story;
    I'm a 50yo male that's spent the last 27 years in the same industry. I've seen the wages for that industry drop consistently every year to the point now of making at or below minimum wage per hrs on the job. I have made anywhere between 150k/yr to poverty level to unemployed. The industry that I knew is gone now. A victim of foreign workers and the attitude of corporations with the "take it or leave it" attitude.

So I just left.

So, at my age I'm too old and don't care to play hardball with the young kids anymore. I don't have a wife and young ins to support anymore. I don't have a ton of financial obligations and basically I'm not tied down to anything or any place. I don't care if I sleep in a cab or don't get back home in 3 weeks. Don't care if it takes 2 months of training to get something I'd like to do. Don't think I'd really care about alot of the negative things I've read about trucking or the lifestyle that it is. My past experience wasn't a job, it was a lifestyle too. Now I just want to end the other part of my working stiff life with something different.

I've read alot of company website info, blogs, boards and posts etc..read alot of good and bad. I'm basically starting off as newbie. I have some experience hauling heavy equipment but nothing verifiable. I'm having to start off at square one with getting a cdl permit and then since I don't have 5k to spend on a driving school, apply to a company that will train me for a cdl under contract. From all that I have read Schneider seems like a good choice, considering they have a training facility close to me in Charlotte NC. I'm going to speak with a recruiter next week at a career event.

Any input or advice on Schneider or anything helpful for a newbie would be more than appreciated. I don't really need any negative comments or posts trying to dissuade me from going into the industry. I've already made that decision, good or bad, I'm going for it. Thanks for reading and any advice!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MontanaLongbow

MontanaLongbow Bobtail Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Billings, Montana
    you are fairly typical of allot of guys getting into the transportation industry.
    As far as Schneider goes, I have a friend that drives for them and he has nothing bad to say.
    allot of guys start out with them. As far as the training goes it is my understanding that they don't have there own school anymore.
    but there are a bunch of company schools out there. so as long as your relatively healthy have a clean driving record and clean police record and can pass the physical and drug test, you should be able to get going on a new carrier.

OldDude50 Thanks this.
  4. NewbiusErectus

NewbiusErectus Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Wow, that sounds a lot like my story ..

I don't think schneider trains .. you'll have to go to school on your own, then apply with them. they do offer tuition reimbursement though. if you collected unemployment recently, you can probably get the govt to fund the training. check with local schools and see what kind of govt. funding is available and if you qualify.

OldDude50 Thanks this.
  5. Duffield

Duffield Bobtail Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Kandahar, Afghanistan
    I myself think Schneider will be a great place to start off with. I was sold because of their vet program, but decided to look more into TMC. Im young and want to get my hands dirty. I think your looking in the right direction. Good luck on your new path.

SSG D

OldDude50 Thanks this.
  6. -insert name-

-insert name- ATM squishier

Jul 12, 2012
    SOMEWHERE
    The pumpkins are some of the most, and most reasonable mellowed out people EVER. But you run into a few that are total idiots or have a VERY bad temper.

7. NYROADIE

NYROADIE Heavy Load Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Rochester NY
    You could do A LOT worse! As said b4 they have done away there school (check to make sure) check with the local unemployment office and see if you can get your training free, thats what you've been paying taxes for all these years.
    Stay away from company paid training if at all possible, you can read all about it on here.

OldDude50 Thanks this.
  8. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY

So you want to take a pay cut to work in the trucking industry ? Wages have been stagnant for over 10 years and rising costs of living , especially healthcare equal pay cuts every year .
    You haven't read enough about company training contracts . They are one sided . You can be terminated at any time for any reason and end up owing thousands with a negative DAC report that could end your career . Also if you don't pay the training fee they demand they will not give you a training certificate . The OTR sector of the industry has a turnover rate of over 90% . How many of those that leave do you think failed to meet training employment requirements ?

OldDude50 Thanks this.
  9. Keyster

Keyster Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Same here OldDude50.
    Burnt out on Encorpera, nobody waiting at home, etc.

Watch this guy's video series. Very honest and yet upbeat.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/yourboyethetrucker/videos
    He answers any questions too. Best info source for me so far about the realities of "the lifestyle".

If at all possible you should go with a CDL school and not company training, (you will end up paying for company training anyway if something goes bad within the first year).

Doesn't matter all that much who the company is. It's more a matter of your manager, dispatcher and dumb luck. You just need to get thru that first year without quitting or being fired. That's the test. Some have positive experiences, some don't. Many don't like it, some do. Others just can't ever seem to figure out how to do it.

No one works harder for less pay than a trucker. Know that going in.

10. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
  11. dhtrucker

dhtrucker Bobtail Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Lomita, CA
    Well I am lining myself up to work with schneider through a training company. They said after I complete the course and all that this company will hire me out of there office. I know its a gamble but its worth it to try and get placement after training.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.