Would the driver of the 18 Wheeler feel anything in a rear end accident

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Rocket1356, Dec 7, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocket1356

Rocket1356 Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2022
    I’ve seen an SUV that rear ended the semi truck that contains a dual fuel tankers. The semi truck sudden stopped before a railroad crossing caused a plume of snow powder that created a whiteout condition for SUV which was behind it. The SUV was totaled. The semi truck had the tow hitch broken but that’s basically it. Driver of semi truck came outside to help setup road condition hazard signs. He walked normally. But 6 months later claimed of 150k bodily injury. Do you guys think it’s BS?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
    tscottme and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rocket1356

Dec 7, 2022
    D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Who knows. I was rear ended a couple years ago in California... Ford Ranger full throttle doing about 90mph (I'm guessing) right into the back of my flatbed... swerved across 5 lanes of traffic and he came to rest against the barriers in the median... I would've never known it happened unless I was watching it in my mirrors... Just felt a small bump like I ran over a pothole. Was fully loaded tho. Maybe empty would be different... that truck with 2 trailer, I doubt he would've even felt it . But I wasn't driving so he's the only one that can answer that.

5. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I know a person is having his neck vertebrae fused together.
    He was steadily over the years getting a stiff neck that increased from ache to pain.
    Doctor determined he cracked a couple vertebrae during a car accident 20 years ago. He never had x-rays done cause he felt fine.

This driver feeling sore within 6 months, why not. May be the combination from the quick stop and the rear impact.

bzinger Thanks this.
  6. Rocket1356

Dec 7, 2022

7. Rocket1356

Dec 7, 2022
    I don’t think he made any claims for damages to his car. He made claims to bodily injuries only. It’s still on going for a year. He hasn’t submitted any specific on his injuries. The other driver caught him in a video walking and not limping. The semi driver blamed the sudden stop to the law. He has to stop when he sees a cross road. I doubt that he saw crossing from far away due to snowy condition so he made the sudden stop there. Would you guys think he’s at fault knowingly that he can cause an accident if he did a sudden stop in the middle of nowhere? Other SUV driver said he was going over a crest so he didn’t see the semi line of sight but when he went over the crest, that’s when he saw a plume of snowy powder going towards his car so he stepped on the brake and the braking system locked skid to the semi. With normal speed and skid = high speed

8. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    The tanker has to stop at all RR crossings.
    SUV, either driving to close or driving to fast for conditions. Why didn't he (the4wheeler) pass the stopped truck?

D.Tibbitt and homeskillet Thank this.
  9. Rocket1356

Dec 7, 2022

10. Rocket1356

Dec 7, 2022
    Sudden stopped by semi. SUV went over a crest and didnt see the semi. But the suv saw the plume of snow from the sudden stop of the semi. SUV couldn’t see. SUV went 30mph so braking system causes a locked and the car skid into the semi. If you look at the pic there could be incoming cars so the SUV probably didn’t want to make the going around move.

11. Rocket1356

Dec 7, 2022

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.