Would you drive for a small company that advertises their non-eld glider kit trucks?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by A Bug, Dec 22, 2019.

1. A Bug

A Bug Heavy Load Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Sevierville TN
    I am looking at a local nearby company that the only thing they boast of is that they are exempt from eld requirements. They still have to go and follow hos rules of course.

Nothing about pay or anything much else is mentioned. Just that they are a small owner operator fleet leased on to a larger carrier that delivers around Tennessee mostly.

They drive 2015 peterbilt trucks with engines from before 2000.

While being eld free would be nice, the one thing that attracts me is that they are only a few miles from where I live.

Am I being stupid and blind for thinking about working here possibly?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Give it a try. You have enough experience to leave and find another job quickly if it doesn't work out.

4. Coffey

Coffey Heavy Load Member

May 14, 2019
    I would go speak to them face to face and see if the money's worth the way they expects you to run rather legal or illegal

5. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Talk to them, and talk to their drivers. If possible talk to some shippers. If there’s a rat, you’ll flush it out.

6. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    A company driver won't benefit from paper logs except that you will be expected to run harder.

I bet they pay cpm as well and will say that running paper logs allows you to run more miles so you can make more $.

7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    More than likely they will push you to ruin illegally. Why else would the way HOS is recorded matter?
    If their main benefit is running illegally with HOS, what else will they be illegal about?
    Pay?
    Equipment?
    Even insurance..

No, my CDL is more valuable than a few dollars I'd get short term from running illegally.

bzinger, buddyd157, D.Tibbitt and 2 others Thank this.
  8. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Nothing to lose by stopping by to talk to them.

Paper or electronic logs shouldn't be the deciding factor in a job search though. Check their safety ratings and see what kinds of violations they have. That should tell you a little about them. Look closely at the trucks, and the drivers. Are they a bunch of sweat pants wearing slobs, or professional looking?

Are those 2015 Peterbilts maintained, or are they ratted out junk held together with duct tape, and the paint falling off? They leaking oil everywhere they sit, or nice and clean?

Above all, do they pay well, and on time?

Remember, all that glitters ain't gold

9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    We are eld exempt.

We go out and back to the same spot every night.

If they're a local company that runs within the 100/150 mile radius. Why do you need eld?

What are the FULL job details?

We're all required to run within hos. We're not all required to run eld.

Swine hauler and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If the trucks are in good condition and you are on paper, there is no real conflict with today's ELD. I prefer paper. But eh, I also prefer older trucks. It would depend on the people at the company you are looking at. And the volume of noise in the dispatch and drivers room. If its reasonably in order from chaos then you might have something. One fleet I worked for hauling medicine, we did not have very much where we were based at our yard, behind security and a tiny disposible trailer with a bunch of trucks and trailers. The trailers landing gear were on cement of good quality so there is less trouble getting to them in the rain. And the work was very routine. None of the stress involved with trying to do something stupid with them. (Logs, trucks or whatever)

Ive had way too many companies where it becomes evidence with my own eyes and ears there are just too many bad things just by being in their yard and seeing for yourself the problems day in and day out. If you hire on to do a particular type of freight and the person consistently foists you off onto something that is evidently a sideline and not a priority its time to leave and write that company off as a lost mistake.

Anything is possible. I think gliders have been around since the mid 70s if not earlier so just the existence of them things does not bother me too much, provided you can do some trucking with them.

11. npok

npok Light Load Member

Sep 26, 2015
    Check to see if they're real gliders, too. Dropping in an early model engine doesn't make it a glider.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.