Would you drive for a small company that advertises their non-eld glider kit trucks?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by A Bug, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Nope. There are laws that have been out since before ELDs, but nothing in MAP21, which is the law that gave us elds.
    And before you say no again, link to the law...

4. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
  5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    So nothing new added like I said. Just a cut off date to the ELD . Again ELDs didn't create any new rules in regards to switching out engines.

alds Thanks this.
  6. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    No it was nothing new, the way I understand it the rule on older engines was written at the same time as all exemptions, and # 3 does state you can install an 99 or older engine, just doesn't go into all the details the fmsca site I earlier found had on it.

7. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    My issue isn't with the gliders or the paper logs... It's with all the people wanting to flock to a company like that.

What kind of a mess the other drivers would make of it. Less of a concern with a local company.

Not a mess from people that know how to log, but from the ones that don't, or don't pre-trip. They just want paper and a peterbilt, and nothing else....

A local outfit would be ok, a reginal outfit would be questionable, no way OTR.

8. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    That list I kinda long.

As you said up front is the 7.5 something % hit from FICA.
    Add work comp, probably 4%.
    No vacation time, add 5%
    No 401(K) match, add 6%
    No sick leave, add 2%.
    No health insurance, add 10-20% (depending on family status).

Total is over 30%, for the benefit package at a good company. So 45 becomes 30.......

A Bug and ZVar Thank this.
  9. MagicMan22

MagicMan22 Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2019

You are one of the few that have actually done the digging to find it. These folks will argue with you with no facts to back it up.

10. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    FMCSA doesn’t care about your engine. EPA are the ones with the rules about putting old engines into newer non-glider trucks.

11. MagicMan22

MagicMan22 Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2019
    “You need to focus on an engine model year that is pre-2000 that does not require an ELD. I like to point out that if you do an engine swap or put on a glider kit, there is a separate regulation requiring documentation [that needs to be maintained] at your place of business.” This is a direct quote from Joe DeLorenzo, director of the Office of Compliance and Enforcement at the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).

As far as a 1099, while some states may vary (I only know Tennessee) y’all are full of crap on the tax issues. As I’ve never worked for a w2...only 1099...I suggest if your that worried about it call your accountant. But...I’m sure 99% of you are accountants, fmcsa employed, doctors and lawyers

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.