Wreck In North Carolina Caused By Missing Stop Sign 2 Children Killed

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by mjd4277, Jun 5, 2017.

1. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    RIP little ones.

G13Tomcat and kemosabi49 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I figure the state. If the Police are wringing hands over one stop sign with which they failed to notice despite regular patrolling etc in the area, if any... then the State has the pleasure of paying out a bunch of millions instead of whistling up a Highways truck to jam a 1000 dollar stop sign into the corner. Something that takes a hour.

Here is something else. Most people don't realize that gang neighborhoods and those hostiles to people in general pull signs and steal them so you the stranger show up...

I remember running through lights and signs to be sure I never stop and be a target. Alot of looking around to be sure cars are not coming and people not crossing in front etc. (I have had that too...) in specific spots around the USA. To keep myself and the cargo safe in bad areas long ago. But those days are gone.

As far as the fatality... on the record>? if the driver is not at fault he is not at fault. Hopefully there is a dash cam or go pro video.

If you aint got running video in your own driving life, get it tonight and light em up.

truckerman75103 and scythe08 Thank this.
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Yes. The state or county is in damage control mode and trying to mitigate their potential liability or fault. They say it was only missing a day or so. The reality may be entirely different.

What are we talking about here? A busy county or state road? A quiet county road? I've often come up on intersections with no visible signage either direction on remote roads and my instincts said "something don't look right" and prepare for anything.

5. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Did some digging. According to Google satellite pictures that intersection is in mostly rural part of North Carolina. Nearest town is Emery,about 10 to 15 minutes to the northeast of the intersection. Closest major highways are US 220 and I-74.

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    This is truely sad. Kids never even got to enjoy life.

passingthru69 and not4hire Thank this.
  7. BigTennOTR

BigTennOTR Medium Load Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Tenn
    Found at fault or not....he was involved in a wreck that killed 2 kids....he has to live with that...hope the best for him

not4hire, tinytim and Big Don Thank this.
  8. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Found another article on it. The Mother was the one driving, as bad as it is for the truck driver imagine the Mother's anguish. And the reason they were in the area was to attend a funeral.

I wish nothing but the worst for whoever is responsible for the stop sign.

Patrol needs help with wreck where two children died
    wblow.jpg
    Blind intersection indeed, Mr. Scott wouldn't have had a chance.
    Google Maps

9. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    Gotcha, I hadn't thought of that.

But as for it being on his record, I speak from experience, with a fatality(or fatalities , in this case) it doesn't matter whether he was at fault or not, it's on his for 5 years. If he does any applications online, alot of companies have filters that scan the applications and resume for key words and it you trip them, your application is automatically discarded. After mine (which, like him, I wasn't at fault) I have up on the online and had to apply locally with my PSP, my driving record and the actual police report in hand, saying what happened and that I wasn't found at fault.
    Alot of people, whether they are employers, LEO, and, drivers, don't know how to read a PSP report and don't understand that accidents can be listed on it even if youre not at fault.

Of all the failures of the PSP program, this was the worst IMO

tinytim and Big Don Thank this.
  10. Crod76

Crod76 Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2017
    West Virginia
    #### churches

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.