Wrist/hand pain

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by RichTrucker2020, May 30, 2020.

1. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I can't disagree. Over the years going all the way back to my 20s I have had brief periods of pain in my hands my wrists and arms. It comes with the job. That is to be expected. Most of the time this kind of pain can be limited by using an analgesic cream of some type. The thing is pain is the human body's warning system something is wrong. The length of time and when it hurts and how much it hurts can be a clue. Getting X-rays should not be that expensive. The only issue is most places are still not doing non emergency medical testing. If this hand and wrist pain goes away that is great. If it does not and does not subside soon the OP should see a physician.

Rideandrepair and RichTrucker2020 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RichTrucker2020

RichTrucker2020 Light Load Member

May 30, 2020
    Yes both hands but it seems to have just happened out of nowhere over a few days. Had a bad jolt from a rough road and felt some pain and discomfort on right hand and the left land started hurting a few days later

Ya this is what I was leaning towards from my symptoms and research. Good to know the surgery is pretty effective.

Ya sounds like what I have

No, browsing the internet on my phone while lying in bed with elbows bent. So that's not really helping my situation

Not that I know of.

Yes am reporting it to my dispatcher. Am guessing workers comp should cover this

Ya seems to be the same with me. Had a shoulder and neck pain which eventually went away. But this pain makes it difficult to hold on to the steering wheel especially when it hits ruff roads. The vibrations and jolt make the steering wheel shake too much.

Hulld, PE_T and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Carpal tunnel is bad stuff. I kept delaying getting mine fixed and it got to the point where the pain was keeping me awake at night.
    I lost most of the strength in my hands and fingers and my dexterity was so bad I couldn't button my shirt or pick up a coin.
    I had both hands and both elbows operated on and things are pretty much back to normal except for some residual loss of dexterity.
    Don't be a dummy like I was and try to tough it out. You'll just harm yourself.

5. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    We only get one body. After a few years, it becomes important to do as much as we can to stay healthy! I blame a lot of my issues today at 62 on decisions I made 20 to 30 years ago. Can't stress this hard enough. You don't want to be living stuck in a wheelchair in pain 100% of the time. Between my pain and dealing with diabetes as well as Epilepsy, I take almost 16 different medications. Honestly, I wish I had taken better care of myself when in my 20s and 30s! It sure sucks being wheelchair-bound!

6. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    I was born with a mild case of arthritis. It comes and goes. I get it in my fingers, wrist, and elbows mostly but have had it in my toes and ankles. I Can go months sometimes years with no pain and then boom it hits hard. Dr’s have always told me that my body is to young for any surgeries because they can do more harm than good. They all say wait until I’m older than 65.
    I have found the copper fit compression gloves and socks have helped and make it go away fast and I recomend you try them out.
    I know the open finger driving gloves is a running joke about being a super trucker but sometimes there is a good and real reason to wear them other than showing off your trucker skills. Lol!
    53579F04-97A2-4E23-A2B5-4535CEC9C615.jpeg

0A948706-5309-4845-8B04-C250ABEEECFC.jpeg

Attached Files:

7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Probably Carpal tunnel. I’ve had it for about 15 yrs. Its painfull sometimes, running along the top of my hands, up arms, even into my shoulders and collar bone, chest area. Once the pain gets bad enough, I’ll need surgery on both, along with wrists, my left wrist has a popping sound, caused by handcuffs, 34 yrs. ago. My sister had the surgery, it went well.Immediate relief, She encourages Me to have it done. My Mother, also. But not so well, she ended up getting both wrists fused, a rare thing. The tell tale sign, of carpal tunnel syndrome, is when your hands normally relaxed, it tends to be in a claw like position. I find webbing fingers together, and stretching them backwards helps a lot. Also wrapping my hand around each wrist and squeezing them, brings instant relief. Maybe a wrist band will help. Best to get it x rayed. Some forms of arthritis, progression can be slowed with medication. Best to get diagnosed, just in case.

RichTrucker2020, PE_T and 650cat425 Thank this.
  8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

The spinner isn't meant for use except when backing. The Funkliner steering wheel is too thin more my taste. I found I was squeezing the carp out if unintentionally. I put on one of those leather steering wheel covers. It helped. Depending on the "spokes" of the steering wheel you can alternate holding those during the long hours of driving straight. There's not much reason to hold the wheel with more strenght than you would hold a glass of water. Whatever you do keep changing your grip position very often. You hands aren't meant to be in any position all day everyday.

RichTrucker2020 and PE_T Thank this.
  9. GrumpyJoe

GrumpyJoe Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2019
    Shorter strokes and more lotion might help. Seriously though, wearing a wrist band with a metal brace at night is the first thing a doctor will tell you. While sleeping most will curl the wrist and pinch the carpal. After a few years it starts becoming noticeable during the day. I had both hands and my right elbow cut due to nerve damage. Not fun but quick relief.

Also I had to have lasiks done for poor vision. Too many nights away from the wife going blind. If the wrist braces work, about $12 each at any drug store, things will be better in a couple weeks. Then when it is convenient you can schedule the surgery for a permanent repair. As for the other problem I do not think mankind has an answer.

10. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    I'm 60 years old. Everything hurts these days:(

RichTrucker2020 and tscottme Thank this.
  11. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    I also drive a 2019 International LT, and find that adjusting both armrests for maximum support lets me relax my arms and hands.

RichTrucker2020 and tscottme Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.