Write off fuel for 'Driver Comfort Time'

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by scottied67, Mar 30, 2012.

1. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    OK last summer I bought a little gas generator and air conditioner for the truck. I got to write off the purchase of those and my tax guy asked if I kept the receipts for the gasoline I bought because I could write that off too. I didn't, I thought the only benefit of the APU was the reduced rate of fuel consumption.It never crossed my mind to keep track of it because the big companies don't. In fact they will tell lease operators who pay for their own fuel that it would be cheaper to get a hotel than idle the truck for 10 hours as the fuel burned comes straight out of the L/O's pocket sans fuel surcharge or anything. It is my contention that if the fuel is burned for driver comfort the driver or company should be able to write it off on their taxes! Why would a gasoline generator qualify but not a diesel APU? Why not the main power unit of the truck? Why not Idle Air, ooops they (IRS) do allow you to write that purchase off.

Today I signed up for Idle Air they say you can write off the money you spend for all the hours you use their service for the year.

OK so if we can write off all this stuff for 'driver comfort', why not write off the fuel for the diesel APU's as well? If the truck has a Elogs, it would be easy, the administrator would just input the Dept of Energy's base diesel price every Monday, all time logged sleeper when the APU was running- base price times fuel burn rate would be written off for that week.

For that matter, what about trucks without an APU? Why hasn't anyone figured out that all the time the engine was running while the driver logged Sleeper Berth is write-offable? These carriers would rake in hundreds of billions of dollars in tax write-offs and they could quit harassing drivers about their idle times.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    APU's have not caught on in the industry because of their high initial cost and the many years it takes for them to break even, often is longer than the company's thoughts on the service life of their trucks before trading them in. They'll say the truck's engine burns 1 gallon an hour, the APU .2 gallons an hour, easier to tell the driver to sweat it out. But if the company could write off all the fuel the APU and/or truck engine burned over the course of the year while the driver logged Sleeper Berth, all of a sudden you have a fuel cost neutral situation that would make the high cost of APU's more attactive or even obsolete either way you wanted to play it because the fuel burn/sleeper combo no longer affects the bottom line.

Am I smoking crack here?

4. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    What!!??? The APU is tied to the tractor fuel tank and tractor fuel is deductible......done. Gasoline for portable equipment on the unit like pumps, gens etc is also deductible.

Correct on carrier response to APU. Units do not make sense to ( financial ) to folks like Werner whom trade at 350k. Driver comfort never enters the equation.

JMO

5. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Yes it is deductible, but you may come out ahead by claiming the per diem allowance for each night that you spent on the road instead of itemizing actual expenses. I would think that generator fuel would fall under the lodging allowance, but check with your tax guy to make sure. No receipts required for the per diem allowance deduction.

6. NYROADIE

NYROADIE Heavy Load Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Rochester NY

Per deim has nothing to do with fuel.
    Not sure on this BUT the fuel you use for an APU should not be taxed (just like off road fuel) so it's not just an expense (read tax dedution) but if you did pay the tax at the pump then you should get reimbersed for it.:biggrin_25525:

7. Hanadarko

Hanadarko Independent Owner/Operator

Oct 1, 2009
    Midwest
    I deduct fuel. Therefore idling time is considered automatically...

-JD

8. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

This is where many fail to see things like this.

Any gasoline, diesel, that is used off highway is eligible for refund of the federal fuel tax paid when purchased.

It is a simple form that is done with the tax return and I do this on many returns with large yards.

I have a couple of truck drivers with APU's and we use the hours for the year by the "estimated" cost of operating times the gallons.

SHC and scottied67 Thank this.
  9. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011

....and that same form can be used to deduct the road use tax for fuel bought for lawn mowers, weed eaters, dirt bikes, and any other activity you might do around your property that doesn't involve using the roads....IF you keep the receipts, and IF you keep track of things. Remember, any deduction you take and any refund you ask for you MUST be able to provide documentation for in the event of an audit.

The fuel tax is a "user fee"...paid for by people who use the roads in order to fund the roads. If you aren't using the road, you don't have to pay the user fee.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  10. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    scottie, your question was rather confusing.

all fuel bought to operate the truck can be used as a deduction, the diesel used for the apu would usually be on the fuel ticket used fill the truck. and as some stated the off road fuel tax can be deducted also.

if the apu had a seperate diesel tank to fill, you would keep the receipt to prove the deduction. same with the gas used for your generator, it used for your business.

roadmedic, do you know of a list of examples that list expenses that drivers can deduct?

some are the coolers, refrigerators, etc. that you use in the truck.

some expenses you can deduct as a truck owner are greater than what a co. driver can deduct.

did you deduct any of your cell phone bill if you used it in business, your air card for laptop?

scottied67 Thanks this.
  11. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    and i was one who also thought an apu would not pay for itself. since having mine since first of jan , i have conservatively saved 1250.00 a month on fuel , wife figured after payments a total 2500.00 for the first 3 months of the year and that doesnt include the minimum of 125.00 a week on food and eats by now having a refrig /freezer, microwave, toater oven and lunchbox oven.

just on fuel alont the apu is on track to save me 9600 on fuel after making the payments.

of course i do my own maintenance on the apu, oil, filter, fuel filter and air filter cost about 30 bucks and take less than an hour.

but you also have to consider i am in my ride 3 to 4 weeks at a time.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.