Writing off an overweight ticket?

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by RunningAces, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    There is more than one way to interpret many things. OOIDA definitely wouldn’t recommend you write it off. Don’t write off stuff that you or your CPA doesn’t feel confident about.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    brian991219 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    FBDC64DA-1BB9-434C-B64C-48D5D95CFBDD.png As typical with IRS rules and regulations they are not always crystal clear. That is why when one hires a professional it would be best to follow their advice on how to interpret the laws. If your CPA says don’t write them off, you probably shouldn’t. If they say go for it then maybe you should. You do what is best for you.

PE_T and brian991219 Thank this.
  4. win-some-loose-less

win-some-loose-less Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Mount Vernon tx
    I do my own taxes and have “wrote off” some weight violations, have also been known to pick up a receipt some yahoo throws on on the ground also.. Its a constant struggle on who is screwing who come April lol

5. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    You're getting way too many tickets if you're even considering writing them off, not that you shouldn't be able to though.

6. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    I write them off. You dont get an OOS and a tow for fun in your personal life, it is an expense of earning your living. Deduction.

You can write off anything. Will it stand at your audit is the question. What will trigger an audit faster than anything? When an entity claims they paid you something on a 1099 and you dont file a matching 1099. I claim every penny ive ever gotten at the scrap yard or selling sawlogs whether they tell me they report or not.

Nostalgic Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.