WTF is up with Diesel Fuel???

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Gazoo, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Gazoo

Gazoo Resident Mental Patient

Apr 14, 2007
    Bedrock
    Why is it climbing so bad?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    The excuse for now is probably building up reserves of heating oil.

Or in reality, a camel farted and they thought it was an attack.

4. leannamarie

leannamarie "California Girl"

Because it can.

Doesn't matter how much they charge, we will line up to pay it.

5. Gazoo

Apr 14, 2007
    Bedrock
    Kinda sux doesn't it?

6. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

Not if you have a fuel surcharge agreement in place. Then, it can rise and do whatever it wants, and the customer foots the bill for the fuel.

7. Gazoo

Apr 14, 2007
    Bedrock
    See, that is the thing. The carrier I am with has a fuel surcharge program but it hasn't changed off of its $0.145 rate since I started.

BTW, I double posted in the Owner Operator forum cause I didn't catch the link warning. Sorry.

8. WiseOne

WiseOne Inactive contact bullhaulerswife

Feb 8, 2004
    Truckers Report, TN
    I saw where oil, per barrel, went up to $84 the other day. Truckers are soon going to get hit VERY hard as that is the highest oil has EVER been to date...

9. curtislyn

curtislyn Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Montgomery, AL
    World crude oil prices breached the $80-a-barrel mark last week when power outages resulting from the entry of Hurricane "Humberto" in the area around the Texas-Louisiana border forced the temporary shutdown of three oil refineries there.
    The advent of the winter season in the western hemisphere is also expected to increase the prices of diesel, which is commonly used as heating oil.

10. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

Unfortunately, the carrier has no legal requirement to make the fuel surcharge program follow the acceoted guidelines. If the fuel prices trend upward, consider moving to another company that does. He's making a profit out of your pocket, not his own. Too many others aren't doing that to pay him for the privelege of driving your own truck.

11. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    On your annual calender...business plan.

Check for the following entries.

End of the School Year = .20 jump

Mothers Day = .10 jump

Spring Break = .15 jump

July 4th, Labor Day, Memorial Day = .16 jump

Beginning of school year = .10 jump

Hurricane Season = .20 - .75 per gallon of fuel. This usually starts to rise about 3 weeks before the actual season, due to speculation. Let one come within 600 miles of the coast...an instant .25 jump in price.

Along with hurricane season, comes the ramping up for winter production. Some fuels will be more availible than others throughout this period. Last year it was diesel, the year before, gasoline.

This year I suspect it will be both. As we greet the increased E production with an increased use of fuel tankers to carry the ethynol....instead of fuel.

Other factors to consider...increased investment in petroleum based industries, spurring higher prices (due to speculation again). It's a seasonal thing and happens every year. Due to increased output for the Christmas season.

And of course, increased Holiday travel requiring "jet" fuel for our airline industry. Thanksgiving and Christmas being the 2 largest air travel days (weeks) of the year.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.