XPO Linehaul in Cartersville GA VS. ABF Linehaul in Conley GA

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by jhurle9403, Jul 14, 2018.

1. jhurle9403

jhurle9403 Light Load Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Centre, AL
    I've been approved for both jobs - both are currently doing employment/driving record checks. ABF is my first choice, but I have heard they are very picky on the background stuff. My CDL and work history are both clean, but you never know.

XPO I didn't really schedule an interview, I just popped in and met the manager after applying online. Nice guy, much smaller terminal than ABF in Conley (their atlanta terminal). He was pretty busy so I didn't want to ask a million questions. He did make it clear that they did a lot more dock work than other LTL places (no issue for me, as they pay the same $ for dock work as driving and I've always loved forklift work). I have all the info I need on ABF, but i'm wondering what people can tell me about linehaul in relation to how they are paid and what my annual income would be? I told XPO Manager $75k was pretty much my minimum and he said that shouldn't be an issue. Any thoughts and info is appreciated, especially in the pay area (wondering what I can make per year total, would love to get in the $80s or $90s)

ABF said they were barely keeping up with hiring to replace those retiring, XPO said that most all of his new hires want P&D so he is always short linehaul, so it sounds like either will have plenty of work for me. I like the Cartersville area a lot better than south ATL, and XPO has no overnight runs out of Cartersville, just turn and burns. XPO guy also said since they weren't union I could work as much as I want within DOT regs (fine by me, I'm a workaholic), so a lot of small differences despite them both being Linehaul jobs.

speedyk Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 2BucTruck

2BucTruck Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    You should see if ABF still makes you wait 2 years until you get vacation time. Also, find out about seniority and their respective linehaul boards, what kind of runs each terminal offers. If you wanna just drive or do dock work too. ODFL linehaul drivers just drive. There are other players in the game besides those two LTLs. Look at all your options. Estes, FXF, ODFL, UPSF, and others. No need to jump the gun just because you have the process started with two companies. With how LTL works, especially linehaul, it's a long-term commitment in regard to maximizing your seniority - that in itself makes it worth your while to look into all the LTLs in your area and see what their runs are like, etc.

Any LTL linehaul driver should be able to make the kind of $ you're talking about. It's better to focus on the other things like linehaul runs available, how quickly you might move up the seniority board at any specific terminal, how many other extraboard drivers you'll be competing against for runs (unless you can walk into a schedule right away), if they make you wait by the phone 24 hours for a run (if you are on extraboard). Those are good things to find out before you commit to a company or specific terminal.

I'm a linehaul driver for ODFL. My second choice was Estes. Where I live, I could've gone with any of the big players. Careful if you're applying to a company that runs a "hog board." E.g., UPSF employees can switch from yard jockey, to P&D, to linehaul during any bid - that will obviously limit your options or ensure you'll get bumped from a linehaul run if you're at the bottom of the board in seniority. Conway Freight used to do the same thing, not sure how XPO handles it now.

Many more nuisances to consider besides cpm or hourly rate, because those other nuisances will affect your earning potential.

Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  4. jhurle9403

Aug 31, 2016
    Centre, AL
    Good points! I applied at them all but XPO and ABF are the only ones to bite and I applied over a month ago. I discussed runs and what a typical day would look like as well as seniority and it’s effects with both, I really don’t have a preference, either one sounded fine. My main concern was if ABF doesn’t give me final approval whether or not I could do $75+ at xpo but it seems like that is nothing to worry about.

scotty68 Thanks this.
  5. 2BucTruck

2BucTruck Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    Sounds like you are doing your due diligence then. Good luck.

6. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    You don’t necessarily get a bid with XPO right off the hop. I’d be leery of any manager claiming that. I’m 18 years with Conway/XPO. Right now they are clamping down on any spending, president just resigned, a lot of grumbling going on. If your going to sign on with Xpo, make sure your eyes are wide open.

speedyk Thanks this.
  7. jhurle9403

Aug 31, 2016
    Centre, AL
    Thanks for the heads up upnorth. The guy seemed like a straight shooter but did say I wouldn't get a bid right off the bat. He also made it very clear I could be doing 4-7 hours of dock work a day as well so he did not sugar coat. My main thing with XPO (if ABF doesn't get me hired) is being able to hit $75k if not the first year then the second year. If that happens, I'm happy to do dock work or wait on a bid run or whatever.

8. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    You know, both companies pay well and have excellent benefits. Given the options, I'd take whichever one didn't involve me driving through Atlanta. Cartersville and Conley are in 2 different universes. If I lived on the north side, I'd go with Cartersville. If I lived on the south / east side, I'd go with Conley. If I lived on the west side, I'd probably go with Conley.
    Good luck.

9. jhurle9403

Aug 31, 2016
    Centre, AL
    Thanks for the advice. Right now I just stay at a buddy's place while I'm home, so I'll have to move for either job and get my own place. If I go XPO, I'll probably buy a house in Rome GA. 45 minute drive but I've always loved the town. and houses are cheap there. Conley, I'll just get an apartment on the south of ATL. But me and you are on the same page in that I'm not driving through ATL to get to work. no way no how.

10. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Well, there ya go. Given that you don't exactly have a residence, ask yourself this......would I rather live in Conley or in Cartersville?
    I can tell you this much, Cartersville will be much friendlier to work at. You'll probably draw the short straw and leave around 730 at night.....Drive to the XPO hub in Conley, and work the dock until about 0500 then drive back to Cartersville.
    So, it's mostly dock work at first. But, it's dock work at around $26 an hour......you can get used to it. Oh, and also, 90% of dock work is on a forklift. So, it ain't real hard.

11. jhurle9403

Aug 31, 2016
    Centre, AL
    Good point. You seem familiar with XPO. I know at ABF $90-100k is doable. What can a workaholic like me make at XPO at top pay?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.