Yard jockey out of trucking school.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Wienerschnitzel, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Wienerschnitzel

Wienerschnitzel Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2018
    CT
    Thinking about going to a trucking school and paying out of pocket, so I can obtain my CDL without having to disappear on the road for 3 months with a trainer and then gone for a year OTR. Perks are free CDL and instant job, but not sure OTR is something I'd be totally interested in, at this point in time (maybe in future). But, I do want to get my CDL and hoping to find something that I can do locally which allows me to be home every night. I'm not looking to make bank, so less pay isn't a huge deal to me. But, I really do love driving and seems like a CDL is a good thing to have. Always work.

Thinking about looking for a yard jockey job out of CDL school. Think companies would hire inexperienced drivers right out of school for yard jockey work?

Also, if not yard jockey, is it really hard to find trucking jobs fresh out of a CDL school? Wouldn't mind just doing some local work. If I can make $20/hr minimum, I'm in.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    Hell companies hire noncdl folks for yard jockey.

tscottme Thanks this.
  4. James122

James122 Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2018
    United States
    From wjat I have seen, they require 1 to 2 years experience.

5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

There are many jobs that have you home daily/night. Ready-mix cement, trash hauling, propane delivery, yard jockey, fuel delivery, etc.

Drive around your town and look for "daycab" trucks. They have a window behind the driver seat, no sleeper compartment. Those drivers are home daily. Every company is looking for drivers. Pay varies by location and company. You may not make $20/hr to start.

6. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Most companies looking for yard jockey jobs want a minimum of at least one year yard jockey experience.

If you're lucky some companies will hire you with at least one to two years of OTR experience, but most want yard jockey experience.

It's one of those jobs where no one will hire you without yard jockey experience, but when you ask them, "How am I supposed to get experience if no one will hire me?"

They just smile and shrug their shoulders and say sorry.

7. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    since all you do is basically back into holes all day long, you need some experience (in backing).

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Some companies literally invite you to take a jockey position if they feel you are a good match, but you would already have to be with a CDL, trucking and all of that good stuff.

Ive actually had a OTR sleeper truck where the USA is my domain, but spent a few days yard jockeying Buffalo at a brass foundtry there once. I was not paid very much for it and the tractor did not do well with that clumsy work. But it got done.

As far as experience that applies to hiring OTR? Yard Jockeying aint it.

You and every single newbie out of school with a fresh cdl in the wallet has the exact same problem. No experience how to hire on if you cannot get experience.

One solution is to work for a dump truck outfit small enough not to care about DAC etc. If you work a few years in that work which is essentially class B with some trailer work if you have a A license and airbrakes etc then you can eventually get into the OTR work.

I would not be so stressed about going out with a trainer, why would you not want to go out with one? There are things out here you need to learn and a trainer will get it sorted for you. A year? That's it? You are looking at what? 30, 40 or 50 years into your future of trucking depending on where you are with current age and health.

Most people don't last a year for a variety of reasons which is why we need a awful lot of new hires to replace the turnover.

9. Wienerschnitzel

Wienerschnitzel Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2018
    CT
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I just meant a year OTR if I were to go with a company that pays for CDL w/ contract for one year work. I'm not really interested in OTR, at all, really.

Wouldn't mind working locally doing pick up and delivery. Where I am located, there is actually a couple Old Dominion yards that seem to always be hiring linehaulers and pickup/delivery drivers. According to their hiring website, they will potentially hire grads out of certain state certified schools.

Here's to hoping, when the time comes.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    All I can offer you is that CDL in whatever State you get issued one after all the testing is passed at the State Level is the same CDL I run on out of my State and him, youse, them and theirs all over the USA.

It's best to pay cold cash for schooling and be done with it. So you have the CDL.

There are so many employers out there you will find something. However, with that said; it's not going to be a pretty yellow brick road all the way. There will be rough edges you will learn as you trip over a few bricks on your way.

Good luck!

11. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    All you need to be a good yard dog is back into holes 100s of times a day and yell at drivers. Those are the qualifications. I dont know how much they usually make. My guess is its not quite 20 an hour. Seems steep for a job with a narrow job description.

Brettj3876 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.