Yard moves on Elogs

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Bpalani87, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Bpalani87

Bpalani87 Bobtail Member

Apr 24, 2018
    We had a driver today get a road side inspection done in Maryland. The trooper told him that he’s not allowed to use yard move on he’s logs at the shipper and receiver yards only allowed at our own terminal. Is that true?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    I don’t know if it’s true or not but, my interpretation is terminal use only.

Actually I’ve never used the option and never will.

4. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Where I'm at, the company permits us to use it at shipper/receivers....

flood and Bpalani87 Thank this.
  5. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    The problem is there is no legal definition of "yard move". It only exsists in the interpretations, so technically the officer can write the ticket.

Odds are a lawyer can get it tossed.

6. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    We're allowed at company facilities and large shippers that have no direct public access.

Truck stops and small consignees are out.

I hardly ever use it outside of terminals because I'm never at places large enough to warrant its use.

Places I DO use it are those with 200 receiving doors and multiple buildings, etc. that take lots of time to navigate. Those normally are gated and have security.

Our safety dept has made it clear that they do Google Earth it to check the validity of our status.

Bpalani87 Thanks this.
  7. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    I use it everywhere I load and unload. Our logs kick us back onto driving status over 5 MPH. I'm not creeping around a railyard from my loading point to the scale that's a mile away in 1st gear.

tscottme and Snailexpress Thank this.
  8. O.Henry

O.Henry Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    San Antonio,TX.
    Non public roadways,is how it was explained to me.

Snailexpress and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  9. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    The interpretation I got from safety is only on Private Property.

Therefore I use it at truck stops, shippers, recievers, and company yard. And I had a VERY thorough level 3 in NE a while back...

The Officer went through EVERY SINGLE DAY of my logs with a fine tooth comb and a calculator. Most of my days start off with "On Duty Yard Move" with the annotation "Pre-Trip/Fuel Stop". At all shippers and recievers I go On Duty Yard Move and annotate it as "Customer Check In"... The officer never even questioned those duty statuses or the annotations. It took him an hour to go through it all, but when he was done he handed me the ELD and said "Very clean logs, wish every log I saw was as clear and concise. Have a good day driver."

10. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I use it at shipper/receivers, the terminal, truck stops where I'm on private property and need to mover over 5 mph. Just because a cops says it doesn't make it true. I've seen tickets for legal activity like in the old days splitting a sleeper break into 3:45 and 4:15 instead of what the cop claimed was only legal if split 4 & 4.
    *back when 8 hours were required for sleep/rest between 10 hours of driving.

TheLoadOut Thanks this.
  11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Top 10 FAQs About the ELD 'Yard Move' Special Driving Category | J.J. Keller Encompass

From the link above:

3. Can I use a Yard Move at a customer’s location?
    Yes, if it is a closed facility with restricted public access. An example of this would be shuttling trailers from the dock to a parking area within a yard the public is restricted by gates or signs. Customer lots that do not have signs or gates, malls, truck stops, and parking lots the public can access are all places that cannot be considered a yard for ELD purposes.

TheLoadOut Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.