YEAH!, I got a brand new truck!!!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Six9GS, Jan 25, 2022.

1. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I run the Western states. Besides West Valley, commonly at Jurupa Valley in SoCal, Sumner, Lathrop, and Phoenix. On occasion, I'll get to Troutdale, Sparks, Willows and Lewiston.
    And, I warned my driver leader off the bat I'd need 2 days to swap over. Took me a day and a half. But, haven't installed my dashcam or Sat radio and antenna as of yet. The insides of the 2 are virtually identical. Only difference is new Volvo has a big refrigerator in it and old one didn't. So, had to figure out where to put the stuff that was where the new fridge is. Otherwise, everything went in the same place between the trucks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    The only time I have had to swap trucks I knew a couple days in advance. Bought some thick contractor garbage bags, a couple plastic storage bins and used those two days to sort out what I could junk and what I would pack.

Each bag had certain things in them. One for the cab section, all the stuff at the front of the truck, one for bunk bedding, another for closet stuff and another for canned food. Tools and other heavy weight went in the bins.

Actual swap when I got the other truck took maybe 30 mins to move the bags etc and once that was done maybe another half hour setting up the cab with GPS, phone mount, dash camera etc and I was ready to drive. The other stuff I gradually unpacked while on my 10 after I got rolling.

4. BlueDuck1883

BlueDuck1883 Bobtail Member

Jan 28, 2022
    I went from an old freightliner FLD to a brand new Pete. One of those oversize VW looking Pete's. Within 2 weeks I was wanting my FLD back.

kemosabi49 Thanks this.
  5. Sixela918

Sixela918 Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2021
    Phoenix, AZ
    67mph? That would be nice! 70 would be even better!

6. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Can’t fathom the excitement over getting a Volvo?? What am I missing??:dontknow:

Six9GS and BlueDuck1883 Thank this.
  7. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    Those that know, understand! Those that don't, may never.

88 Alpha and Speedy356 Thank this.
  8. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    Unfortunately, although the setting is saying 67, in actuality, it is still only 65. I figure some internal setting somewhere.
    But, my old truck would only go 63 with the pedal. Had to use cruise control to get to 65mph. On my new truck, you don't need cruise control to get to 65mph. You can get there directly from the pedal. So, there's some improvement at least.
    I've heard rumor that Swift is changing their fleet speed up to 70 and everyone will get the new speed on their next A or B service. But, it's only a rumor and not sure I put alot of stock into it.
    Most times, 65 is fine with me. However, definitely times where 70 would be nice. In example, on I-80 across Northern Nevada, lots of open, flat roadway. 70 would be nice!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.