Year of Lurking.

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by TexasRiverRat, Sep 10, 2022.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Plenty of companies hire new cdl school grads. that live in Ozarks. Trailiner Corp. is just one of many.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TexasRiverRat

TexasRiverRat Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2021
    I just took a screenshot of that post to send to my wife. Thank you sir.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yellow/Holland
    Strafford, MO
    $70,000 - $85,000 a year
    Has their own cdl school. Attend this school and you can transfer to Strafford, MO when the time is right for you.
    CDL school is free to you. Hourly pay while attending cdl school.
    Health insurance is free to driver and family.
    CDL Driving Academy - Dock Worker Jobs |Work for YRC …

5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Plenty more. Let me know if you want more companies to choose from.

6. TexasRiverRat

Sep 4, 2021
    I will definitely reach out to you after I graduate.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Start applying the day cdl school starts. Don't wait until graduation. Job offers will be contingent on successfully completing cdl school and having any required endorsements.

8. TexasRiverRat

Sep 4, 2021
    I'm three days into CDL training now, and it's going well.

I can honestly say that I'm ahead of the curve because of everything I've learned here. Plus, I already drive off-road equipment for the State of Texas, so my biggest problem driving currently is that I float gears normally. Trying to change my rhythm to a double clutch is frustrating. That and I'm not allowed to touch the throttle while backing here.

That being said, we practiced straightline and offset backing today which was actually fun. The longest trailer we use at work is a 48' flatbed, so hooking up to a 53' van was different for me. I'm accustomed to being able to see more from my mirrors. Get out and look.

Tomorrow is coupling and uncoupling trailers, which will go well for me, but next weekend we'll be on the access roads of the interstate. Theoretically I'll be fine, but I'm not taking anything for granted because I don't drive on public roads where I work and I very rarely have a need to shift into high range.

Strangely enough, I'm comfortable behind the wheel doing what I do now, but the thought of being in traffic and doing the same concerns me. So I'm going in fully aware that my experience doesn't translate exactly into what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm still confident, but definitely not ####y.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. TexasRiverRat

Sep 4, 2021
    We put trucks on the access roads of the interstate today making several mile loops. I wish I could say I never missed a gear, but that would be a lie. Something clicked on my second trip though, and it started making sense. I'm much better going down the gear pattern now than I was before. Going up is not a problem. I have to admit that I'm still basically floating the gears, but as it's sliding in I pump the clutch real quick to satisfy my instructor.

I never curbed a tire, but I caught myself getting close a couple of times.

All in all it was a fun and productive weekend, and I'm looking forward to going again.

10. TexasRiverRat

Sep 4, 2021
    I don't see a need to start a new thread, but I passed my skills tests today and drove home with a CDL A. First try, no whistles or deductions (gotta brag a little) but I still have a lot to learn.

In my original post I wasn't sure what to do, but I've since changed my mind. It's time to #### or get off the pot.

I've found a couple food grade tanker companies close to me that I'm applying to.

If anyone has any advice on tanker companies that might hire a recent grad in the Central Texas area I would appreciate it.

REO6205 Thanks this.
  11. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @TexasRiverRat --

If you have just attained a CDL and are looking for tanker opportunities in the central TX area, then you should probably consider talking with Western Dairy Transport:

CAREERS & APPRENTICE PROGRAM | wdtmilk.com

They run loads/lanes throughout Texas--and also the southwestern US.

The last time I looked--they were busier than a one-armed paperhanger. :p:D

Suggestion: run loads with WDT for 2 years--then perhaps look into opportunities to do hazmat tanker.

--Lual

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.