Years of Forwarding/Trucking Experience, Starting at home question...

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by DragonDriver305, Jul 9, 2013.

1. DragonDriver305

DragonDriver305 Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2011
    North Miami, FL
    Hey guys,

Im a veteran in the industry. Drove for a few years OTR, and worked over 15 years shipping and Forwarding. Now im looking to work at home to help raise my baby daughter. Anyone that started at home interested in giving me some pointers on what to do?

I know how cut-throat this industry is. I would help the Sales dept after i would trace my freight. Gather quotes from our friends from TQL, Forward Air, Landair (i know, i know) and other carriers. Also ,I driven on the road with our good friend CR England to get my CDL and to see what its like from the other side of the phone, (i know what your thinking =) ) I would see the problems from lazy and arrogant dispatchers. So i have grown to be respectful to the drivers out there. Its not easy but hey, its actually a great industry. It made me a better Frowarder/Agent for truckers i think. Im used to sleep with my phone next to me. Getting the calls that the driver can find the address or that the shipper wont accept the load until 36 hours. I been in those shoes and i just hated it when i got in those situations at 4 am, cold and exhausted after driving 10 hrs, just pee and go stops.

My main question is, i ammased my knowledge and looking to go solo to work at home and get some good money for the drivger and myself. Im considering going to Landstar to get my feet wet solo since i dont have stash of cash to burn on licenses. Would Landstar be a good choice to go to? Does anyone else have any suggestions?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Casual Trucker

Casual Trucker Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Land Star is a Gang of thugs I worked for these people on and off before they were land star they were called Inway,ranger,Ligon,etc. NATION WIDE depending on what side of the coin you want to be on Driver or Agent you will never be a Friend to either side If you try to Help the driver Land star will find a way to trim your feathers by allowing other agents to steal your show after they get under your skin bad enough to make you quit. Most of the honest land star Agents Bailed out a long time ago.All they have now is a bunch of clueless wana be's That thinks If they call the driver Honey or Dear, or try to sound friendly that they can get you to haul their Junk.And remember this a lot of their agents have peeking eyes drivers that work for the agent and those devils main goal is to find out all a bout your customers so they can go for the kill as soon as you leave land star.When ever I'm home and have nothing better to do I watch the load boards not looking for loads but watching for Hoodlums you Know.. the one's that takes from Johny to sell to bobby so they can steal a few buck off of the load and I have a list of those schmucks and some day when I have enough data I may just write my own Black book you never know it might turn in to a best seller.So if you are pretending to be a nice Guy by all means join land star. But if you really are a nice guy then find you a medium/small company with good credit and back ground history to grow with and if they end up being no better than land star at least they would be less damaging to you than the giant crooks.
    Good Luck

DragonDriver305 Thanks this.
  4. DragonDriver305

Jul 21, 2011
    North Miami, FL
    wow man great info. Yep i have learned in this industry that there are too many "bad brokers/agents" that dont care about the trucker really. I grew a heart because i drove for a few years and went through some pains missing my family just to learn all about this industry. I know it made me a better person because i have been in both places. Im just doing some research to make sure im part of a team that has the same dedication as i do, to make money but to also keep the driver happy as well. Karma is a *itch and its just wrong to treat the driver with no respect.

5. DragonDriver305

Jul 21, 2011
    North Miami, FL
    Oh man that sucks. I feel horrible. I know it happens because i have heard agents in my ex office do bait and switch and mess up the miles for the driver. Just messed up really.

6. frghtshkr

frghtshkr Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2013
    Gilbert, AZ
    I am starting my broker business as well. I know the feeling. I am trying to make some money for me and the driver as well but some of these guys get it so cheap I don't know how anyone makes any money. I am like you drove for a few years eventually worked into sales for LTL and then started getting quotes from customers for FTL's. So I am expanding to offer this to my customers. I am not going to get rich off it by any means but even if I can make and extra 10k a year it would help.

I am like you I don't want to be the shady broker we hear about on these forums. All we can do is the right thing and hopefully it will come around.
    Good luck

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.