Yellow ABS light of trailer stays on

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by defencerulez, Jan 7, 2013.

1. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    I appreciate the time you took to post that citation. I'm sure the OP does also. You're probably not going to like this, but I still can't personally say one way or the other because I'm pretty sure my ABS violations are off my record now. I still don't doubt you. :)

windsmith Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    I'm not sure why that is. I spent a day on a skid pad working on jackknifing and they never once talked about the spike. We only worked on threshold and stabbing and blocking. Probably because using the spike without the truck doesn't get you stopped any quicker?

4. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    For the record, I have never received any citations. Only CSA violations. :)

5. CAXPT

CAXPT Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Michigan
    I'm sorry you had to bear the brunt of this, windsmith, it's exactly why I keep trying to get people to understand exactly what we're talking about. We're supposed to be professional drivers, and in the current environment, we have to defend ourselves and our record.

A company/owner will say/do whatever they have to do, to get the job done at the least inconvenience/cost for them. You and I have already learned this the hard way...if it's convenient for them, it's not necessarily convenient for us. :D

Now, if we could just get the others to understand without having to learn the way we did, the industry would change....for the better. But to do so, they as drivers have to become more knowledgeable and involved in the profession...and for many....that's just too much work to bother...and so it goes. :(

Good luck with that DataQ, I'll be checking regularly to hear about the resolution.

6. windsmith

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Well, I'm at a slight disadvantage, as I haven't got my first year down yet. So I can't stand my ground as confidently as another driver that can move to another employer with ease. In school, we were taught that CSA points would be severely career limiting. While that may be true with the larger 'bottom feeder' carriers, I'm finding that those points don't carry as much weight with the employers that I would actually want to work for. In fact, I'm still having to educate my current employer regarding the importance of a good SAFER score. My driver fitness score is clean; my vehicle maintenance score is what took the hit. Any employer worth considering will listen and understand when I explain that the score took a hit for reasons that were beyond my ability to control.

Don't get me wrong, my current employer is great despite the little challenges that he presents. It could be much, much worse. Compared to many of the challenges that other drivers face that they post in these forums, I really have very little to complain about.

I will post an update once the results of the Data-Q are in.

CAXPT Thanks this.
  7. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    Thats exactly what it means. That violation does not apply. There inlies the biggest issue with CSA, officers grossly misinterpreting the FMCSR regs and handing out tickets. I once recieved one for not filling out a DVI on a day I was dispatched but didn't drive because according to the officer, you have to fill one out every day you are on the truck, driving or not.

8. defencerulez

defencerulez Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2010
    In between the LAKES!
    Again, HOW do I present this to an inspector? I can pre-write a hold for service tag for that trailer, it will be serviced! However, if they pull me into the inspection station before I go back to a place where I can fix it, am I in trouble?

9. windsmith

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    It's hard to say. It's been my experience that the inspector will violate you (pun intended), yet others have posted that they were given a free pass. There is no consensus among the various states or even enforcement officers for that matter.

10. V8-MACK

V8-MACK Light Load Member

Aug 18, 2009
    CAXPT I,m no longer with that tanker company. My number 1 rule is that I don,t drive unsafe junk. Sometimes a company can trap you, like on your 1st day they tell you, if you leave within 90 days you have to pay for the ekg heart test, the 6 xrays of your back and lungs, dot physical and drug test. Right way I know I should walk away, but don,t have 2,000 bucks I can afford to loose. Before CSA if the co. refused to get a major repair done, you just say ok, I,m going to the nearest scale house and requesting a inspection. Companies now don,t want to hear a exp. driver say a repair must be done, there,s a new driver that won,t catch the loose trl. axle ready to break off the trailer. I ran into my old pal sat. he ownes an investment co. that ownes 6 tanker co.s , he says the shippers are in the drivers seat the rates are lower now than in 04. One of his co.s hauls chocolate, there,s not many tanker co.s competing with this freight and still the rates are low. Bottom line co.s can,t afford to maintain there equiptment anymore.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  11. windsmith

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Update on the ABS violation.

I submitted a Data-Q challenging the ABS violation on Sunday. Today the Data-Q was acted upon, and the violation was removed without explanation or comment. My challenge was simple, and reads as follows:
    So in summary, if you have received a violation code 393.55(e) that was triggered by an ABS light that was indicating an ABS malfunction, you stand a good chance of having that violation removed if you challenge it.

Badmon and toss009 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.